Mimi Barks - THIS IS DOOM TRAP (Album Initial Thoughts)

There's 13 songs on this album and I've heard at least seven of them. My Mimi Barks timeline is all over the place, if you gave me a bunch of her song titles I would not be able to tell which one's an older or a newer song, except that BANSHEE is pretty new.

The album title is THIS IS DOOM TRAP so it seems like she's attempting to do an album that summarizes what that subgenre is about.
The album cover is teeth. She likes uncon
 Lets go.

FSU
Heard before. One of the first songs I heard from her. Beat is hard AF, I love the deep bass sound combined with the other instruments to make it interesting.
Her screams are nice and even. As a rapper I see her as an androgynous/female equivalent of the likes of Sect Unit, Istasha, etc. The dark trap / trap metal / rappers that sound like CORPSE lot. But I do hear the doom elements in her music as well.

HOUSE FULL OF FAKES
Especially in this song (the doom elements). It's the beat, mostly. The autotune is a trap element. Oh... THIS is doom trap, I got it! I love it. Hold on, who produced this, I love it. -- Someone called Anashe. I'll keep an eye on the producer's name if Anashe produced the rest of this as well.

MIRTAZAPINE
Have liked, so I've heard this, but I don't remember it.
This one is a mix of real and electronic instruments, I think. I think those drums are real, maybe the guitar as well.
That was short, I didn't have time to check the producer. I'll check the name in the end.

PSYCHOSIS
Haven't heard before. Love the rap! Oh wow! Some of her best rapping, or at least the fastest. 

WORMGIRL ft. Raven Gray
Heard before.
The effect on the scream works very well, they sound even more badass. Same with the singing, I think that's Raven - the effect adds to the performance. = VERY good production! By KOEN.

MONTANA ft. Yeti Bones & Ho99o9
Creepy beat, I love it again. Hook is too repetitive, I'm not a fan. Sudden French!
And the flow change after it (or maybe it was a featuring artist). Oh, and the French might be a featuring artist as well. I think the male is Ho99o9, I've heard his songs before. He's ok. Seems like Mimi and Yeti produced this one? They're written down as composers.

FADED
I lowkey love the autotune, but used in a creepy way. Not that many artists use it like this. It's usually made to soften or "electrify" a sound when it's used as an effect and not pitch correction. It makes the artist sound more robotic and perfect.
I like her rap in this, more than average! This is an unusual flow for her, and that's a good thing. Speed isn't everything, versatile flows are something that keep music interesting.

BANSHEE
I love this song. It's a slower one, showing that doom trap is not just one sound, it's versatile and can stand the test of time, if she wants it to. If she feels like doom trap has more to give than just this album.

SILENT TEARS
Similar to BANSHEE, a slower one. I love it when it gets heavier and have those real/real-sounding guitars. This production has a lot going on, but it all works together. Produced by KOEN again.

DISGUSTED
The beat in the beginning is eurodance-esque xD If it was cleaner and grander, it'd be eurodance.
Again, there are real drums. Or very good fake drums.
I like the chorus. THIS is a doom trap slow song. There's not a scream in sight. Are there violins or something, it somehow grew with the melody in the background during the chorus?
It's maybe a bit too soft for me. Sounds like a power metal ballad almost. But it's so soft I don't want to put it on my Metal playlist...
It's an "interesting" take on doom trap... I don't hear doom or trap...

CARDIAC
Not a fan of these screams, they sound more forced. Like she's hurting herself. Singing's good. Rapping sounds like Delilah Bon, and not in a good way. Not my favorite Mimi Barks song, but it wasn't bad either.

FINAL DESTINATION/DEATH WITHOUT SATISFACTION
I found it a bit weird at first that the backing vocals were so out of sync with the main vocals, but it made sense when the chorus played. I liked the second verse more than the first one. Chorus is absolutely beautiful.

INSOMNIAC
This one has the backing vocals out of sync as well. Also, the beat is hard to follow. It doesn't hit like in the other songs. Producer goes by the name dolchi. Not judging them based on this one song, I just don't like this one. Doesn't sound like doom trap to me.
It could also be that Mimi or someone in her team (if she has one) purchased the beats from these people. In which case, I don't blame dolchi. It just doesn't sound doom trap to me and I think it's a bad beat to rap to. Otherwise, it's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. Just the context.

All the producers, alphabetically
Anashe - FINAL DESTINATION/DEATH WITHOUT SATISFACTION, HOUSE FULL OF FAKES
dolchi - INSOMNIAC
frdm.wav - PSYCHOSIS
Killvein - FADED
KOEN - BANSHEE, DISGUSTED, SILENT TEARS, WORMGIRL
KÜBE - CARDIAC
L U N A & Mode$tO - FSU
Mimi Barks & Yeti Bones ? - MONTANA
Brian Spencer & Kenny Graves - MIRTAZAPINE

Comments

Popular Posts