💙 Ashnikko - Halloweenie VI: Possess Me (Initial Thoughts) 💙

It's a bit early for a Halloween(ie) song, but I still clicked immediatelly when I got the notification!

I love it. It's very alternative, the beat is... crazy. But she still makes it work and raps over it. Such an underrated rapper, omg... She's too alternative and too queer for the average hiphophead, I think, so they don't hear the talent she got because they're so focused on how it doesn't sound like hiphop.

It's not hiphop, at this point, anymore, I'd say. It's alternative music with elements from multiple genres, and rap is one of them, so you can still call it "alternative rap" if you want. I'd just call this alternative music with rap in it.

The visuals are giving. She's in the woods, with a night vision camera, like in the Cheerleader video, but this vibe is completely different. In Cheerleader, which is about the objectification of women and how that makes them feel like they're been watched all the time, the camera is chasing Ash around the forest in a borderline predatory manner.

In this video, Ash is holding the camera and she's not alone. It's giving that scene in Skins where they found random mushrooms in the forest and ate them and got high (minus the tragedy that ensued). That same wild, devil-may-care attitude.

I also love how low-budget this is and how small the crew is. The big trap and pop rap hits were needed at the time, and I love those songs as well, but this feels more Ashnikko. Less people, dark and mystical atmosphere, alt, queer, a bit weird, more grounded.

They put the lyrics in the description, I'll get to them eventually.

The song as well deserves quite a bit more listens to catch everything, and it's The Vibe. 💙

Comments

Popular Posts