Sublime (Three Song Listen)

 I've probably heard more than three songs by Sublime but not been aware of it... I'm reading their Wikipedia page rn and I'm surprised they're this new of a band! From the 80s/90s. I thought they were from the 70s/80s, early hiphop stuff. Their music is apparently ska punk / reggae rock / hiphop, which also surprises me... I'm probably mixing them up with some other band...

For my three songs, I'm choosing three of their most successful single releases: What I Got (1996), Santeria (1997) and Wrong Way (1997).


What I Got

Very 90s, reminds me of the post-punk, post-hardcore, alt rock bands I used to listen to back in my teens. Weird panning, going from one ear to the other constantly (I'm not a fan of it). The raggae+rap works well.

Santeria

Oooh, I've heard this! Still very mid-90s. No rap in this one, it's more just ska/reggae influenced rock.

Wrong Way

Very ska. I don't really have anything else to say.


In summary

It's fine. As a teen I would have loved them, now their music doesn't hit as much as it would have back in the day.

Comments

Popular Posts