Knox Hill - Wow (Initial Thoughts)

 There's a featuring artist, some guy named Vik. I presume he's the guy singing the melody on the beat and the guy in the white shirt on the video.

The song's alright. I mean, the verses are good, but the hook is quite boring --> the song as a whole is alright. The hook does hit better after the second verse, though, Idk why.

I like how there's graffiti and paint all around saying "Wow" (on the poles of the bridge they're under and on the inside walls of the van). Visually representing the song title.

If he ain't posting the lyrics, I ain't breakin them down. I can catch more than when I started listening to rap, but still can't catch all of the bars.
Here's what I did catch & understand to some extent:
- "bad boy back with the backpack rap" - it's a type of hiphop, "backpack rap", but I haven't looked into it yet, so I don't really know what it means
- he won't interview and hates reading the news and what's clickin, on a song with a premiere where he answered people's questions and gave news on his tour dates and album pre-order and told people to click the like and stream the song on streaming platforms. I swear I think he's a very smart guy, but sometimes the lack of self-awareness is baffling to say the least 😂
- "got Marshall in my ears like I'm MGK" - they have/had beef aaaaand idk anything about it, and idc. I respect the heck outta Em and personally think his music is alright (like, for my personal taste - he's talented as fuck and a legend and all, his music just isn't my kinda music, usually), I don't bump his music every day or anything is what I mean, and I don't consider myself a fan (or a hater). I feel pretty neutral about him. I like MGK as a person, I remember quite recently him talking about his mental health struggles publicly and openly and I respect that, I think especially men need to talk about these things more. Actually talk. End the machoism culture where they just shove it all down until they lash out on other people or hurt themselves. I do not like MGK as an artist. His attempt to do metal was embarrassing and cringe. Like a preteen who's trying to be edgy. As the hiphop community puts it, he's "not about the culture" - in this case, the metalhead culture. He's a poser.
- "grip like a handful" - only got this side of the double, the first half is missing... he's got "a grip" of something, he understands something, but also, a grip like a hold of something, with your hand
- "quick, throw it in the van, go / cut your ear off" and they jump into a van as he says that... and also, van Gogh, the painter who had mental health problems and cut his ear off
- "Michelangelo / I've been a ninja" - Michelangelo was also a painter, but the other Michelangelo is the orange Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Knox watched that show as a kid and orange is Knox's favorite color
- "now they want a Spike Lee" who iiiisss... *googles, cause can't remember* a movie director
- "better do the right thing / while they're only typing / while they tying up your wings" - I've been on my Katatonia grind lately (=binge listening their music for the millionth time for hours on end) and as anyone who listens to them knows, Jonas loves his bird metaphors, so this bar stood out to me... it doesn't really make much sense without the context of the other bars around it, I'd need those... this is right after the Michelangelo and Spike Lee bars, and the next bar is "stay free" and then something else, where I can't catch all the words... so idk, I'd do much better with the full set of lyrics if we're getting as poetic as this. Much better with metal-lyric-esque poetry than this hiphop stuff with all the slang and slant rhymes and doubles and name dropping... The slant rhymes especially are a pain in the ass, when trying to catch bars. Name dropping's just... You'd have to know everyone. And such a huge portion of the names they're dropping will mean nothing decades from now. Metal lyricism is timeless. (Sorry, been returning to my roots, with the metal... I still love hiphop and am learning about it and I've found some really dope artists I do still follow and support, like Knox, but metal is just... it's my home. I get it. On a much deeper level than hiphop.)

If he drops the lyrics I will break them down. I don't get what this song is about as a whole and I want to get it. It seems simple on the surface level, but that's often deceiving with Knox's music... The ones that sound the simplest are actually the more complex ones lyrically and concept-wise, and the ones that sound technical and complex are actually easier to understand concept-wise. His lyrics always have layers, but the technically impressive song's concepts are easier to summarize in one or two sentences, where as the simpler-sounding songs are harder to explain. If that makes sense.

Comments

Popular Posts