Getting into jazz - Part 2

This is gonna be ignorant AF but I don't give a damn today. I'm feeling very confident in myself. I was in an Anthony Ray live for about two hours and his confidence was surprisingly infectious.
The intention behind my ignorance is not to be mean or to disrespect an artist, their talent or their contribution to the genre.
I just literally don't know shit about jazz, apart from what they taught us in school.

Finnish high school level musical education - we had one mandatory course and I took two extra ones as well, which was all our school offered, one being a choir course and another one being a band course, but we didn't sing or play jazz, so... I don't remember what we sung in choir, mostly religious stuff though, since there's this religious group, Laestadianism, which is very prominent where I grew up in, and about half the students in the choir class were Laestadians. There's a Wikipedia article about them if you want to look them up, but one of the things that they sort of have debate over inside their own community is whether secular music is ok or not. I know a Laestadian girl who was named after a secular song, but I also know people who were visibly uncomfortable hearing jazz in a classroom setting, let alone newer popular music.
In the band course it was just me and two of my friends, and the teacher. One of my friends had some experience with drums so she played those, another one could play the guitar and sing, so she did those, the teacher taught me some very beginner level keyboard playing and I played that (holding one note for 2-4 beats was the best I could do with zero experience and about 17 years of age), and he played the bass and sung male vocals. Our strongest act was Coldplay's The Scientist.
I have a degree in (Lutheran) parish youth work and one of the mandatory courses we had there was a course in playing the guitar. It was 19 of us 19-year-olds and the teacher, and the courses were 8am on Thursdays, Wednesdays being a nation-wide student party night. So, I missed about 1/3 of the classes because I was sleeping off a hungover, and in the rest of them, I didn't even learn to hold the acoustic guitar right.
Right before COVID I tried learning the piano on my own by reserving the library's play room, using a guide book. And then COVID happened, the play room was closed and I wasn't able to go back again.
I also took a course at university level, I think it was some sort an introductory level course to music theory or something. That shit was hard. Some assignments I barely passed, some I aced, but I'm usually very good at school, getting good grades on most subjects is easy for me.
I think I've sung in four different choirs in my life - one as a child, one in the high school class, and two as an adult... 
So, in summary - I know a little bit about notes and singing, barely anything about guitar and piano. And maybe some stuff I've picked up on just as a listener, like production etc.

As a listener, I take pride in the fact that my music taste is as varied as it is. I try to find at least one song in every genre that I absolutely love and haven't failed thus far. I love music, I couldn't live without it. If life gets in the way and I forget to listen to music for too many days in a row, I get very tense and anxious.


And now I'm trying to get into jazz. Like I stated earlier, I've heard some basic stuff in school, but that didn't really do anything to me. Wind instruments like horns, saxophones, trombones, etc aren't my favorite and they seem to be very prominent in jazz.

After writing that post yesterday I wrote a comment back to the guys who recommended me music and the newest commenter responded to me. So I've got some suggestions from them. And I also decided to check out what kind of jazz songs would YouTube recommend me. I'm just skipping through the songs, only writing about the ones I like. The commenter mentioned the stuff I didn't like earlier and called it "blue note jazz" and this confuses me, because I'd think that anything "blue" refers to the genre blues and feeling "blue", and that'd be stuff I like, but no... With this term, it's stuff I want to stay the F away from, 'cause it's boring to me.

Jazz Mix made for Zinetha (Spotify)

- Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Prowler 
Oh wow, I like it a lot! It's doom metal influenced jazz and it's so good I actually added it to The Vibe playlist. In summary, The Vibe is songs that have a grounding, calming effect on me. I'm compiling a playlist on those songs to make it clearer for myself and to manipulate what Spotify recommends me.

- Michael Bublé - Feeling Good
Hearing the Nina Simone's Feeling Good (=the original?) and Bill Withers' Ain't No Sunshine (which is more like a blues song, I think) in a row yesterday, by chance, from The Vibe playlist, is what inspired me to finally check out jazz more.
I first heard of Michael Bublé when I got this sheet music book as a Christmas present, called Hits 2006. It was Christmas 2006 or 2007, so I would have been around 14 or 15. That book had Michael Bublé's Home. I'm not sure if I've actually heard that song - maybe once, out of curiosity - but I did attempt to sing all the songs from the book, so technically, I do know that song.
And this sounds good as well. I prefer Nina's version, though. Michael's version is a bit more modern, but Nina brings a certain feeling to the song I feel it needs... Michael is too modern and too clean. Nina has sass and attitude. Michael's very talented, though.

- Kovacs - Diggin'
I like her voice. The music seems very R'n'B, soul, pop inspired.
I don't like that she's worked with Till Lindemann. I do not stan sexual predators.

- Snarky Puppy - Shofukan
Oh wow... It's like prog metal, but jazz... EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I hear some Eastern influences, like System of a Down and some folk metal bands I've heard, but otherwise this reminds me of Tool and Grim Salvo. And this was live?? I heard claps in the mix. Omfg I am in love with these guys! They're making it to The Vibe playlist as well.

- Solene - The Harlequin's Last Laugh
The geek in me is in love.
I love Harley Quinn, especially the Birds of Prey movie version where she and Joker are broken up and she's becoming a woman of her own after an abusive relationship. I love DC, especially Batman villains. They're SO fucking well written I can't even, AND DC collabed with Ashnikko and I love that, cannot wait for a 2nd installment on the comic they did together (called Husk: A Tale From The Weedkiller Wastewoods; in the end it said it's part 1 and that it will continue)...
And Solene's voice is so... sultry. And sexy.
I love that people of other genres are doing nerdy topics as well, and not just nerdcore rappers.

- Martina Da Silva ft. Michael Stephenson - Say You'll Be There
I like her voice, reminds me of Maustetytöt and other Finnish bands for some reason. The song has a very old school Finnish vibe to it, which is exactly why Maustetytöt is a national phenomenon here right now. (Also, their song was in the Aki Kaurismäki movie Kuolleet Lehdet which won a prize in Cannes and was nominated for two Golden Globes.) They're about my age and still do this old school sound and lyrics, with a new school melancholic pop twist. They're amazing. One of the bands I intend to check out more this year.
Martina's song also reminds me of another song, but I can't find it right now... The lyrics go something like "I'll give you everything a boy can bring" or something like that... Maybe a 90s boy band pop song? Martina's song is from 2021, so it's newer.

- 冥月 - YO - Acid Jazz ver
Jazz-influences hiphop? Yes, please!

- Sarah Vaughan - Black Coffee
Very old school, but I like it.

- Heather Rigdon - Not Quite
I love her voice. Alto female voice, like my own. Like Jenni Vartiainen and Dua Lipa. Very pretty. The Vibe, she made me stop and listen. 

- Rosa Cecilia - Contradictory - Outro
Another great voice, love it.

- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul

- Silva & Steini ft. Jóel Pálsson - If It Was

- Richard Cheese - People=Shit
I can't pass this! A jazz version of a SlipKnoT song!! Was NOT expecting this!! The SlipKnoT song was very important to me as a teenager, very cathartic, I got a lot of anger out through it (caused by me being bullied).
This is exactly the kind of boring jazz I don't want to listen to, but my god. Respect to Richard Cheese for getting into some nu metal!
Idk where the "Satan" entered the lyrics, though, that's not in the original... SlipKnoT is not about the Satan. They're about being the "outcast", being different, but being different together. All bullied kids unite. He skips through the lyrics otherwise as well, but that's ok.

- Caravan Palace - MAD

- Swingrowers - Midnight
Very pop-y, but I still like it.

- Ashley Jana - Electricity
This is pop, but I do like it.

- Annella - Perfume
Same thing. A good pop song, with some jazz influences.

- The Electric Swing Circus - Mr Magpie

- Richard Cheese - Down With The Sickness
😂 Disturbed cover. Ok, I like this guy. And the album is called Tuxicity xDD Like a tuxedo, a tux, but also SOAD's album Toxicity! Richard here is definitely into metal and that is so cool! And the album People=Shit is on is called Aperitif For Destruction xDD Guns N' Roses had an album called Appetite For Destruction. This guy's hilarious! I'm going on a side tangent, checking him out!!


Richard Cheese

Oh, it's a band!
Wikipedia says: "Richard Cheese & Lounge Against The Machine (or simply Richard Cheese) is a cover band and comedy act, performing popular songs in a lounge/swing style."

This is gonna fuck up my algorithm so fucking bad...

They have waaaaay too many studio albums, I need to pick and choose songs...

Oldest to newest, all the references I get:
- Lounge Against the Machine = Rage Against the Machine, the band
    * Nookie / Break Stuff (Limp Bizkit)
    * Come Out and Play (The Offspring!! <3)
    * Closer (Nine Inch Nails. Sexy as hell)
    * Creep (Radiohead, the only Radiohead song I like. The speach in the beginning, omg xD)
    * Last Resort (Papa Roach! I loved them as teen!)
    * Rape Me (Nirvana; "Here's one for the ladies" omfg xD you can't say that!! x'D it's a very sad song         originally, at least I interpret it as being self-destructive. This is dark and hilarious...)
    * What's My Age Again (I know this one, but it's not my jam... one of the not-that-good punk rock         songs of 2000s)
    * Smack My Bitch Up (The Prodigy <3! RIP. The adlibs again! "He's a prodigy, as in psychosomatic         addict insane" xD It's a reference to another song by them, plus obviously the band name.)
    * Fight For Your Right (Beastie Boys!)
    * Only Happy When It Rains (Garbage; works well as a jazz song!)
    * Holiday In Cambodia (don't remember, but it's on Guitar Hero... The Kennedy's?)
- Tuxicity (System of a Down, Toxicity)
    * Fell In Love With a Girl (? I know this ?)
    *Baby Got Back (Sir Mix-A-Lot. The Friends version by Ross and Rachel is the best. Change my         mind.)
    * Down With The Sickness (Disturbed, obviously.)
    * One Step Closer (Linkin Park. RIP Chester. Lol, players won't shut up.)
    * Chop Suey! (System of a Down. OMG this intro is actually so beautiful <3 The entire thing is art.         As is the original. "...die, ladies and gentleman." :'D)
    * Loser (Beck, the only good Beck song. I've never looked at these lyrics closer... Gosh they work         good as a jazz song!)
    * More Human Than Human (White Zombie! Wow. The version I know best is The Ozzfest 2002 live         by Rob Zombie. 
    * Buddy Holly (Weezer? ... Yes, the Weezer song.)
- I'd Like a Virgin (Madonna - Like A Virgin?)
    * Girls Girls Girls (Mötley Crüe - Girls Girls Girls or Sabrina - Boys Boys Boys ;) Yup, it was the         Mötley Crüe song.)
    * Are You Gonna Be My Girl? (Heard it... I think it's on SingStar?)
    * Butterfly (Crazy Town. Cool. ... "Han solo" xD)
    * Hey Ya (Outcast. Don't like the original.)
    * Beat It (Michael Jackson)
    * Milkshake (Kelis! Omg, this is gonna be fun! ... I was right. This is crazy and fun.)
    * Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode! Although, they're not the original?)
    * Material Girl (Madonna)
    * 99 Luftballoons (that one German chick. I like the song. ... omg lol, they just did Gibberish and             jokes about touching boobs xD)
    * Rock the Casbah (ooh, I've heard this one! Because this one Finnish rock band, I believe it was Don         Huonot, has a song that references a "Kasbah hill"... That's all I remember off the top of my head,         though...)
- Aperitif For Destruction (Appetite For Destruction by Guns N' Roses)
    * Me So Horny (I only know this one from memes, I don't know who's it by. ... Also, god these songs         are so... 90s/2000s humor. "the horn section's so horny!" xD)
    * People=Shit (SlipKnoT)
    * Welcome to the Jungle (Guns N' Roses, this was my brother's favorite song at one point ... "You're         gonna die!:)" Lol.)
    * Lets Get It Started (Black Eyes Peas?)
    * Man In The Box (Nirvana? ... No, Alice In Chains.)
    * You Oughta Know (Alanis Morissette) 
    * Enter Sandman (Metallica ... +Mr. Sandman, apparently xD Hilarious!)
    * Sunday Bloody Sunday (had to google the band name, U2... I think there's another band who used         this title as well?)
    * We Are The World (Heard it, but who is it?)
    * American Idiot (Green Day! Was very much into them in my teens, this )
    *  Somebody Told Me (The Killers)
- Silent Nightclub (the Christmas song, Silent Night)
    * Holiday in Cambodia 2006 (The Kennedys?)
    * Like A Virgin (Madonna)
    * Jingle Bells (duh, the Christmas song)
    * Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice)
    * Personal Jesus 2006 (Depeche Mode ... Except it isn't... It's another Christmas song, in the                     beginning...)
    * Imagine (John Lennon?)
    * Silent Night (the Christmas song)
- Dick At Nite (?) - seems to be movie and tv show themes
    * South Park Theme (Primus)
    * Spider-Man Theme (?)
    * Friends Theme (The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You)
    * Darth Vader's Theme (a classical composer, this song's cool! Ain't the title something to do with                Valkyries? ... This is that, but made to sound like Cantina, another song from the franchise.)
    * Scooby-Doo Theme (this cover sucks...)
- Viva La Vodka: Richard Cheese Live (Coldplay's Viva La Vida)
    * Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
    * Me So Horny (this was above already)
    * Lollipop (? I know many songs called Lollipop ? ...  It's Lil Wayne, I don't think I've heard the             original... but he's making it all mumble rap anyway xD)
    * Don't Cha (Pussycat Dolls)
    * Toxic (Britney Spears)
    * You Shook Me All Night Long (oh gosh, who was it... *googles* AC/DC. Not a huge fan, but yeah.         I know it.)
    * Viva La Vida (skip. don't like the original.)
- OK Bartender (OK Computer by... *googles* ... Radiohead)
    * Supersonic (...I've heard it?)
    * Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
    * Just Dance (Lady Gaga ... glad someone else got the lyrics!)
    * Die MF Die (Dope! Literally, the band's called Dope!)
    * My Neck, My Back (this was earlier?)
    * Smack That (Akon and Eminem?)
    * Pour Some Sugar On Me (Def Leppard... But the Krista Siegfrieds version is just... gosh. xD It was     on this tv show called Tähdet Tähdet, where the professional artists try to master any genre they're         given and be the best at it. Krista is a pop singer, this was a metal episode.)
    *Light My Fire (The Doors?!)
- Richard Cheese Presents Johnny Aloha: Lavapalooza (idk, but "lava" is "stage" in Finnish)
    * California Gurls (Snoop Dogg & Katy Perry)
    * Gangsta's Paradise (Coolio ... that choir arrangement is so cool.. so cool-io! 😎)
    * Last Resort (Papa Roach again! ... this one's pretty cool!)
    * Clint Eastwood (The Gorillaz)
    * Thong Song ("that thong-tho-thong-thong-thong")
    * Cruel Summer (I know the Bananarama version the best, but it's not the original)
    * Pocketful of Sunshine (heard, don't remember... except the main character singing it in Easy A)
- Live At The Royal Wedding
    * Anarchy in the UK (Sex Pistols)
    * Low (...from the movie Step Up 2 The Streets)
    * Rehab (ooh, that one chick that didn't want to go into rehab and the 2nd time I heard of her was             when she died..! RIP)
    * Smack My Bitch Up, Closer, etc, songs they've done before...
- A Lounge Supreme (?)
    * Killing in the Name (Rage Against the Machine!)
    * Tik Tok (Kesha! She was so underrated back in the day, definite precursor of hyperpop!)
    * accidentally heard How Soon Is Now and I know the t.A.T.u. cover of this! Cannot remember who         did the original!
    * Friday (Rebecca Black?)
    * Boom Boom Pow (Black Eyed Peas... At first my brain was like "Click Click Boom!" and then I         was like.. nah...)
    * Hello (Evanescence? No, probably Adele ... no, Lionel Richie)
    * Rock You Like A Hurricane (Scorpions)
    * Careless Whisper (Glam&Gore, wait not, I mean... ;) She just loves this song, tried to use it as a         "waiting music" song, but even her humming the melody gets copyrighted! It's crazy!)
- Back In Black Tie (Back In Black by AC/DC)
    * T.N.T (AC/DC)
    * Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
    * Super Freak (I don't remember, but I like the song)
    * Cum On Feel The Noise (Quiet Riot, although I've never realized it's spelled "cum", lol)
    * I Am The Walrus (The Beatles)
    * Stairway To Heaven (Led Zeppelin! ... pretty cool.)
- The Royal Baby Album
    only songs they've done before
- Coctails With Santa
    all Christmas songs, don't care
- Bakin' At The Boulder: Richard Cheese Live At The Boulder Theater
    more repeats
- Supermassive Black Tux (Supermassive Black Hole, by *googles* Muse)
    * Sharp Dressed Man (Don't remember. But like it.)
    * Get Lucky (Daft Punk!)
    * Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)
    * Gangnam Style (PSY ...  lol, I have no idea if they used the original lyrics and butchered them xD)
    * Royals (Lorde! This is gonna be cool! ... Yes it is. Gosh. Lorde was a teenager and made a song             that's gonna be considered classic in the future...)
    * Can't Feel My Face (The Weeknd)
    * Fancy (someone ft. Charli XCX, I only like Charli's part)
    * Watch Me Whip (that hiphop song? "watch me whip, now watch me nay-nay...")
    * 
Supermassive Black Hole (Muse, just googled it)
    * Special Thanks / Hotline Bling Take One (I cannot help it, my brain gives me Dorian Electra's Give         Great Thanks :'D That would be awesome, but I don't think they'll do it anytime soon... Hotline                 Bling is Drake, I think.)
    * Pumped Up Kicks (Foster the People. The happy-sounding song about a school shooting.)
    * Shake It Off (Taylor Swift)
    * Hotel California (Eagles)
    * Everlong (Foo Fighters)
- The Lounge Awakens: Richard Cheese Live at Mos Eisley Spaceport Cantina
    * Rebel Yell (Billie Idol)
    * Welcome to the Cantina (from Star Wars, finally?)
    * the rest of the songs sound so interesting, I think I need to hear the rest of the albums...
    * yes, definitely worth a full listen :D there was a short clip of Nicki Minaj and a longer one by             Beastie Boys
- Licensed to Spill (the James Bond movie, License to Kill?)
    * Get the Party Started (P!nk)
    * Paradise City (Guns N' Roses)
    * Despacito
    * Livin' On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
    * Look What You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift)
    * It's the End of the World as We Know It (I don't remember who it's by)
- Richard Cheese's Big Swinging Organ (a dick?)
    organ versions of old songs
- Numbers Of The Beasts (The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden)
    * The Number the Beast (Iron Maiden)
    * Thank U, Next (Ariana Grande)
    * Old Town Road (Lil Nas X 🏳️‍🌈)
    * Bad Guy (Billie Eilish!)
    * Truth Hurts (Lizzo?)
    * Fuck The World (Insane Clown Posse. The first song I heard from them, because someone put it on         YouTube as a SlipKnoT song. :D)
    * Baby Shark (oh no... and yes.)
    * Eye Of The Tiger (the Dean Winchester version is THE GOAT. Lol)
- Big Cheese Energy
    * Thrift Shop (Macklemore! Love it, love thrift shops!)
    * Dynamite (which one?)
    * WAP (yes, the WAP. Cardi B's and Megan Thee Stallion's famous pussies everyone's talking about -     and yes, I'm referencing Megan's HISS)
- Snappier Than Ever: The Original Songs (Billie Eilish's Happier Than Ever)
    * don't know any of the songs by name
- Besame Queso
    * repeats
- Pussy Party
    * repeats
- Live From Hollywood
    * repeats

This is the end today, the next part will be the rest of this list and songs that guy suggested in his comment.

Comments

Popular Posts