Knox Hill - Corny White Rapper (Thoughts)

Instead of trying to get in his brain, I'm just gonna spill mine. There's way too many things in this song I don't know enough about to have a valid argument on, like the blacks vs whites discourse in America, how the politics work there (like, how they REALLY work), so I'm not going there. Not this time. I'm gonna do a lot less googling than what I usually do, Imma just write what the lyrics made ME think, not what they actually mean.

And I just want to make it clear that I'm not doing this because I'd think the song is bad. The song is good, I just feel like I'm not qualified to give insight into a big portion of the lyrics, so I'm not gonna pretend like I am, and also, I'm currently exhausted from all the stress in my own personal life and don't have the mental energy required to break down the lyrics using Google.

This blog exists for me to have an outlet for my thoughts in music (and it's public just in case anyone finds any of this useful at all, for any context), I love poetry and lyricism and Knox has said multiple times he likes it when people interpret his lyrics their own way, so I'm gonna do that. Everyone wins. Instead of pretending I'm Knox, I'm gonna be me and only have the knowledge I have.

I didn't do an Initial Thoughts post because I was at work during the song premiere. I participated, but then I had to go straight back to work after that, didn't have time to think about the song back then. Decided to do it slowly over the course of X amount of days and only post when I'm done. And here we are.

I wrote the following text bit by bit in a course of about 5-6 days after seeing the music video (which also had the lyrics on screen, I wrote them down from there) and afterwards pretty much only edited out things I didn't want to be public knowledge. So, be prepared for A LOT of random side tangents, because that's how my brain works.

First of all, sonically and visually, I like this song and the video a lot. I like how the beat is simple, and how the visuals match that with their minimalism. Just Knox, on an empty beach, lyrics on screen with a simple clean font. The beat (being simple, not overpowering) and the lyrics make it very easy to follow the song. His hand gestures and minimal props accentuate the lyrics even more. This is just him. His lyrical abilities, his rapping skills, as an independent artist with no team behind him.

It's pretty clear to me he wrote and released this song in quite a short period of time. He usually markets his songs at least a week in advance and I think he announced this about a day before it dropped. And there's some references to recent events that make me think this text was under a week old when it was published.

Last night I had a dream that I was average
Then I look into the mirror and see a corny YT rapper
That's the face that haters see
And they get mad they look the "under" 

YT as in YouTube, but it's pronounced the same as "white".
I've never heard those words together, "YouTube rapper"... Is YouTube the new SoundCloud?
There's a bunch of references to Benzino, but not just him. To all those people who think white people shouldn't be rappers.
If some of you are reading this years later and don't know what happened and want context on the Benzino situation, check Knox's song Clout Cobain and a YouTube video on Knox's channel titled "Benzino responded to my diss?!"
In the video for this song, when Knox says "under", he points down, and given the context of these other bars, I think he means the description box or the comment section of YouTube.

They've been laughin at my come-up
Now I'm laughin I got "one up"
Irony is funny when you come from "nothin"
Then you look at all these "zeros" in my numbers
Sum it up

A rapper thing, using opposites in bars like this - "nothing", "under", "zero" vs. "come-up", "one up"
Knox grew up poor, so he "comes from nothing".
In 2023, he reached 1 000 000 (one million) subscribers, so that's a lot of zeros. Could also be a reference to money, the opposites thing again - coming from nothing but now having zeros after the other numbers on your bank account.
If I was a rapper, I'd make bars about the word "irony" and then mention other metals (besides iron). I've been writing poetry all my life, and in the past year that I've been into rap it's been affecting my poetry. Sometimes using doubles and internal rhymes helps me with the writing process, sometimes I don't give a fuck about rhyming at all and what comes out is more like a diary entry with some poetic elements or expressions.
If you sum up all the numbers of 1 000 000, that's 1. It's more than nothing? Idk. 😂

Don't hit me up to cash in on my paper

Sounds like someone wants to make money with Knox's work (his songs)?

Where were you when everyone around me died?

Check out the song Family Curse, it's about the various family members he's lost (I think all of them died before he was born, but anyway).
In 2023, he lost three family members: his grandpa, his cousin and his mother-in-law.

Sh*t quit askin me for favors

Wow. I'm curious, who asked him and what did they ask? I want the tea, I want the gossip, I want to be amused/pissed about this person with Knox (sympathy/empathy, depending on what they asked him and if I can relate).

My passion makes me anxious
I got anger

Me too, buddy, me too.
But probably for different reasons.
The political situation of my home town, of Finland, of the world, and how all these affect my life personally have just been piling up and heating up my emotions and I am passed furious and done with everything!
I'm like that dog in that meme, with his house on fire and him being like "This is fine". That's me.
This one.
So done with everything that I don't have the energy to care anymore.
(I felt like that on Wednesday, when I wrote that. My mood's been slowly climbing up since then. It's Monday now and I'm feeling ok. But the stressing factors in my life are not gone, so I'm being gentle with myself and observing my mood in case it starts going down again.
I wanted to keep this text here nearly unchanged from Wednesday, because I think mental health issues are still a taboo in our society and I want to be an example of someone who isn't afraid to admit it when they're not fine. I see people talking about their mental health struggles as the most efficient way in removing the stigma surrounding it. Also, it's not "trauma dumping" if I'm not telling you about my trauma.)

I been waitin
I been hungry for so f*cking long I'm tired of bein playful

I think the Clout Cobain (Benzino diss) and couple of Knox's previous releases have been more or less humorous and playful, in their own ways. He's done with that, he wants to be serious.
I'm done with being serious, I just can't. I'd lose my mind if I thought of anything happening right now too seriously. Humor and not giving a shit about anything, including making a proper lyrical breakdown of this song, is my armor rn. (Felt like that on Wednesday, I'm better now, on Monday. ^^)

I want a plateful of your favorite rapper's playlist
If the foods cold I send them "pigs" in blankets
Full of anthrax and smallpox
Go wrap 'em in those blankets
Happy Thanksgiving

Rapper thing: "hungry", "plateful", "food", etc
We don't know who Knox is talking about, whose favorite rappers he wants on a silver plate. Maybe still Benzino's?
Knox was my 3rd favorite artist on Spotify last year, after Katatonia and Ashnikko, before Ian Taylor and Asa. Four out of five are rappers. I miss metal. Which is why I came up with The Vibe. It's all the music I really REALLY vibe with, that makes me feel awesome, across all genre and gender boundaries. No more trying to decide which side of me I want to listen to today but putting it all together.
Aren't "pigs in blankets" a dish? Like nakkipiilot? (Googled on Monday and yes, yes they are. The same dish.)
The settlers in America sent the Native Americans blankets that had diseases in them to kill them. And the original Thanksgiving, at least how it's portrayed in movies, is about the settlers and the Native Americans having a meal together in peace. It's a lie, covering up the truth. Like a blanket.
The Thanksgiving scene from The Addams Family Values where the Native Americans take over is hilarious. (Here's a YouTube link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0l9YfuT8w)

This one's inspired by the black community that raised me
PG County in my blood - it's black music that has saved me
I'm blackin out on Black Friday in a black Benz with black tints

Self-explanatory, plus, like I said, I have no insight. I am not American, I am not black, I am not a hiphop head.
Hiphop spread to Finland (to East Helsinki, to be specific) through a couple of record stores, American movies and some people who had visited America and brought the artform of graffiti with them. In the early 1980s. I was born in 1992, halfway through the country up North from Helsinki. I know some of the history 'cause I read a book about it last year. Rap became mainstream in Finland slowly during the late 90s, early 2000s, I remember it happening. So, I never saw the beginnings of Finnish rap scene, either, but I've seen it since it became mainstream here. Nowadays, rap and pop are the biggest genres by far, but it's not uncommon for rock, metal and occasionally other genres to do well on the charts as well.

My home municipality (like 'town', but smaller), where I lived until I was 19, had about 5500 people in it (it fused with another municipality in 2007, so it doesn't exist anymore, technically). There was a accommodation center for refugees there, so I did see people of multiple nationalities and skin colors from an early age, despite being from such a small place, from such a ethnically homogenous country.
And obviously we had a Middle Eastern man who owned a pizza joint, just like every Finnish town and municipality. Cheap but good pizza (half of which are named after local neighborhoods and sometimes memes) and kebab, sometimes burgers and salads depending on the pizzeria. In about every fucking town and municipality in the entire country. I don't know why that's a thing, but it is.
The internet was the 90s internet, similar to how it was in America (based on conversations I've had about it with Americans), very slow and expensive. I was allowed to use it an hour a day.
But it's not the same thing. The refugees were the outsiders in my home municipality, not me. Knox was the "outsider", the white kid, in his home county.

Benz as in a Mercedes Benz, but could be double for Benzino.
With the car he's blacking out in, sounds like drugs to me.
Rapper thing again, repeating the word "black".

Better "look out"
The "white boy" lookin "Shady" at the cookout

Doubles.
"Look out" as in a warning vs. "look out" like literally, look out the window of a house or of the Benz, Shady as in a shady person vs. Shady as in Slim Shady, Eminem's alter ego.
Cookout like a BBQ party vs. a roast (literal or figurative).
There's all sorts of combinations these doubles can lead to, like "watch out, the dude who looks like Em is gonna roast you" or "what is this white boy doing at our BBQ party, that's shady".
I'm pretty sure all combinations work..? I love it when doubles work so well, when they bring more substance into the bars instead of just being... there.
Unlike this one pop/EDM song that I've heard on the radio, it says "we're popping like champagne bottles" - 'popping' as in becoming famous vs. 'popping' like the sound a champagne bottles makes when it is opened. Sure, it's a double, the lyrics are fine. But if a human being popped like a champagne bottle pops, their head would fly off and blood would splatter everywhere. You'd die. I guess dying like that would make you even more famous (you'd be figuratively "popping" even more), but I digress... You see what I mean? The double doesn't fully connect. When doubles connect fully and add substance instead of just word play, I like them more. (NOTE: Later noticed I've misheard the lyrics of the EDM song. But I'm leaving this example here anyway.)

But I'm good I got a "pass" for "class"

Like a hallway pass or a lavatory pass that American students need to exit a class. Learned they exist from Mean Girls. In Finland, small kids just ask politely and they can go. With bigger kids and teens, it depends on the teacher - some demand you go in between classes and others think it's up to you if you want to hold it for a while or miss a portion of the lecture.

But also, like, if someone gets "a pass" on something, it means they're excluded from it. And "class" as in socio-economical classes people are roughly divided in, such as the poor, the working class, the rich, etc.

Classes work a bit different in different countries. America is more divided than Finland, because of differences in the sizes of the countries, healthcare system, social security systems that are in place, public vs. private schools and university tuitions, for example.
Finland is a lot smaller, smaller than the state of Texas, and only has about 5,6 million residents in the entire country. America has way more people, which means the extremes are more extreme (the poor are more poor, the rich are more rich).
In Finland, there's public healthcare that's very affordable, i.e. me getting my wisdom tooth out was about 40€, but you might not get an appointment until months after you ask for one. Private healthcare costs more but you get an appointment faster. It's illegal to advertise prescription drugs - like, anywhere, at all - and pharmacists are legally required to mention it to you if there's a more affordable brand of the same substance you got a prescription for.
You can apply and get money from the government for various life situations, like unemployment, being a student, having a baby, etc. In practice it's a bit more complicated, there are conditions you have to meet and be precise you do the paperwork right, but in theory it works like this.
I'd say that roughly ~95% of Finnish students are in public schools, private schools are very rare and I don't know much about them. All schools are legally not allowed to collect tuition, not even the private ones. At least public schools are completely free, incl. things like books and lunch and transportation if you live far. All public school teachers have a Master's degree or higher. From high school and up you need to buy the books (and transportation) and in universities the lunch as well (university cafeterias are open to everyone & the government covers half the cost of your lunch if you're a student).

I'm serving fine dishes

Like Crème Brûlée, his latest song... I wonder if this song is referencing more of his own songs, since he has a new album dropping? If so, that's cool.
Scene Queen did that once - the song Pink Hotel contains a reference to all the other songs on the Bimbocore Vol. 2 EP.
Mind your p, no (pino) you greasy-hos (grigio) always 'wine', bitches
Don't blame me, blame my parents I'm in Paris where the "wine's" different

Bitches and hos vs. the wine and fine dining scheme ("serving fine dishes" and "pinot grigio" & "wine") vs. mind your something, you greasy hos, always whine.
Google says "mind your P" means "mind your manners".
Idk what the Paris is in there for, except he maybe filmed there, maybe in UK (bunch of people claimed they recognize the beach), but idk.

Labels send a deal - they want control but I don't buy fiction

Labels try and offer him record deals but he doesn't want 'em. He thinks they lie, he doesn't "buy" it aka believe it.
The above is true, but I don't believe that Knox doesn't buy fiction, as in fiction books, novels. He's a huge fantasy nerd. If it's true that he doesn't buy fiction, then he must be a big fan of the library. Which I'd obviously love to be true, as a librarian myself.

Look at me, sh*t
Never sold an image
Same f*ckin hoodie that I wore when I first entered
Same f*ckin Timbs, you wanna tempt me with percentage?
I don't give a f*ck about your clothes and all your gimmicks

Word.
He's down to Earth, not braggadocios at all.
I own a pair of Timbs (Timberlakes, a certain brand of shoe), but I've barely ever worn them. I'd need to break them in, but the ankle part feels so stiff I haven't worn them much. I got them for free from a relative who had also never worn them, so that's why I have them in the first place. Good quality, sturdy. Just not for me. I should probably sell them, but selling clothes second hand is a lot of work, so... 

"Run up me" and call "race" when you contendin 

A race where people contend in running vs. your skin color or race.
What is "run up me", I'm pretty sure that's an expression I've heard..? Google doesn't give me anything.

And you claim you own your "masters"?

 'Master track' is a music term, I'm not sure what it means, though... I think it's the final product, the track with all the other tracks on it (like the beat, adlibs and main vocals for example)?
In the clip Knox recently watched, Benzino said something about only dissing the greats, but idk if that's related here. Probably not.

When your label's done by rich white men who own the buildin

 So "masters" is at least a double. Masters as in master tracks, vs. masters as in the record label bosses.

You drive around in foreigns but your life has all been rented
Tell me when that lease has finally ended

Foreign cars, I'm thinking Corvettes, Lamborghinis, that sorta cars. Sports cars.
Idk what Knox means by "rented" life... I do have some ideas but they're all guesses...

But this is what they want since !!$%$#??

It's bleeped out in the song, too, I went back to try and hear what he says. He even covers his mouth. But he has a word there, it's just distorted in the audio to the point you can't make out what he's saying (="bleeped"). It has two syllables, though, I hear that much.
Because of the syllable count and how the bleeped lyrics are spelled, my first thought is ISIS. It "has to" be a word YouTube doesn't like, and ISIS is such a short word and a huge red flag for YouTube, I'm sure, that bleeping out just one letter ain't gonna cut it. You gotta bleep the whole thing.
That, or this has been an artistic choice by Knox, so you can add whatever word in there you please. Well, not whatever you please, more like... Fill in the blank, with whatever word YOU think it is.

It's all divide & conquer
Go and choose your side and see the other side as monsters

How divided the world is, it's always "us" versus "them"... The latter part ("see the other side as monsters") applies to a lot of things, but for things you choose... I'd say it boils down to politics and religion... Choose if you're left or right, liberal or conservative, which religion to prescribe to if any... Idk about the right wing, but the left is fighting among itself about certain topics which creates even more division, into i.e. liberal feminists and radical feminists. They're not two direct opposites, but there are certain controversial topics that make them disagree with each other so much they separate themselves from the other, saying the other side makes all feminists look bad or all women look bad. Villainize the other side.

My key principle in politics and life are that scientific facts exist and that all people are equal to me. But if there's one thing I don't tolerate, that's intolerance. When it comes to many things in life, I think it's quite clear cut: all genders, all gender expressions, all sexual and romantic relations between consenting adults (pedophilic and zoophilic acts are crimes and should stay as such, science has proven kids and animals have mental health issues and behavioral issues if they participate in these acts, so pedophiles and zoophiles are NOT a part of the LGBTQ community that's just "not accepted yet", like some of them claim to be!), all ages, all races and nationalities.
When it comes to religion and politics, the "I don't tolerate intolerance" part is key. I do not care what religion you practice (or if you're an atheist) as long as you don't use it as an excuse to be intolerant of others (of other religions, the LGBTQ+, etc) or cause them harm, see others as inferior to you or push it upon anyone else. You're free to have your religion, grant others the freedom to have theirs. You're also free to have your political views, as long as that doesn't mean you see other people as inferior to you because of it. 

When Covid kept you inside to hide from all the loses
Funny how the big corporations all survived and "surprise" they turned a profit
Do you need me to spell it out?

Yes, please.
See, I know stuff. But there are some things that are just one big question mark for me and economics, especially political economics, are a thing I do not understand.
Remember how I said I'm leftist? I am, I feel like it's a much more humane and empathetic "side" to be on, if I must choose a side to begin with. But. I think the left can be a bit idealistic at times. Their heart is in the right place, but they don't think about the realities of life. The finances, how slow change is, etc. And that's why I'm not on the far left or far liberal end either. (I didn't deliberately choose where I am on the political matrix, btw, I had to do a test online to determine where exactly I stand.) The right wing has valuable points when it comes to financial etc. realities.
Another big reason why I'm a fan of Knox. He's politically in the middle and understands how politics work and talks about them in his lyrics, and wants to encourage a healthy conversation on the topic. Because the world is so divided. I learn from his lyrics, and get a new perspective on things I wouldn't get from associating with just people from the left. 
I find it hard to talk about anything with right wing / conservative people. I know this isn't the full truth, but they seem to always be either angry or mean. Either they straight up want queer people to die or they only interact with the left by trying to piss us off or make us sad (and they think it's funny). Some people on the left do the same, though, I get that, especially the "being as in-your-face queer as possible in front of right wingers to piss them off" thing. But it must be a pretty exhausting way to live, to base your entire existence around hating other people that much? Hating them as in wanting them to die or hating them as in wanting them to feel bad. Again, I can't help but to "get" the left a little bit better, but... I digress. Both parties are guilty of this. I try and not to be. Imma just be me. If that pisses you off and you hate me now, then I'm not too stoked about you either.
Left sometimes sees it as a political move, being as in-your-face queer as possible, to normalize it. I appreciate and applaud it, but that's not for me. I am queer and on a rare occasion, people pick up on that, usually they don't. And I'm not as politically savvy or enthusiastic as people often think I am... There are certain topics I have strong opinions about, but I don't really know that much anything to do with politics.
Why is my existence seen as a political thing? It's not a political thing for me, "rejecting gender norms". I'm just being myself, wearing what makes me comfortable, loving who I love, etc... And in many countries, it's illegal to do so. America is fighting over it, in Finland things are a lot better. And then I associate with other queer people, living in America, and they talk about how much worse things are here and that's when it comes political...

They can't fix homelessness but when the banks failed, who bailed em out?

Idk. American financial political stuff again, idk if it's even applicable to Finland... Need Knox to break down his bars to understand this...
Only thing I can think about are those park benches in Britain and America, that have spikes in them, so homeless people can't sleep on them. I think that's fucked up. They're not hurting anyone, sleeping there. They should have some place they can sleep in, but no... Make it impossible for them to sleep anywhere, gives them more time to look for a job when they're not sleeping! *very heavy sarcasm*

You think that you and me pay for a politician's luncheons?

Well... I pay taxes, which go to the government, who pays for their huge salaries, so... Then again, I work in a public library, so technically I pay my own salary, if we want to think about it this way? :D
I'm not sure about America, but because of Finland's political history, the left tend to be working class and the right tend to be rich. And there was this right wing politician who was so detached from reality, that she literally said something along the lines of "Why are people complaining they can't afford food? Just go to the store and get some." And as you can imagine, it caused an outrage.

Just look at all the fundin:
Shout goes out to all the interest groups
It's "hush" money
The fourth branch of government nobody elects

Idk what that is, the "fourth branch".
We have a parliament of 200 members, a prime minister and a president. We vote for the parliament and the president. I don't remember how the prime minister is chosen, but they did teach us that in school. We have a multiple party system as well, so it doesn't become a left vs right or "lesser of two evils" kinda situation as easily as it does in America.

You think our "vote counts" when they out countin the checks?
Check your six for the "twelve" - but it's "five" for the feds

Do I think my vote counts (ignoring the "counting checks" part, 'cause I'm not even sure I know what he means)? Yes and no. This country has millions of eligible voters. I am just one person. Usually I just vote whoever I think is the best for the job, or who agrees with me the most (because why wouldn't I, especially when we vote for the parliament - I'm voting for someone who'd be the voice of me, in there, so I don't have to go there myself, and if everyone does that, then we have a parliament who sounds like Finland, as a whole). Sometimes, if I'm between two or more options, I vote the one out of those whom I think is gonna get the most votes. Idk if the math checks out, it just feels like a smart move.

And if you start thinkin different then they ply you with meds
Give you a phone let social media supply you with stress
So go "apply" for the "check"
The cash is just a "cast" and we're all "walking dead"

We're Zombies in Abercrombie, lol. Also, cast like what you get when you break a bone, but also cast like the people who act in something like the show The Walking Dead. Where zombies walk like they have a cast on, they're crippled... 
(Also, checks are signed pieces of paper you can take to the bank and get cash.)

I was in Ian Taylor's livestreams last summer. Once or twice a week, usually lasting 3-4 hours, but the longest couple of ones were about 12 hours. At one point he was concerned if we have lives outside the livestreams and he said "I don't want you to turn into social media zombies". And these bars reminded me of that. Of how people can be in a situation in their life where their entire life revolves around a celebrity or a single hobby. It's never a good idea to base your life around one thing, especially a person. People are highly unreliable. If you can help it, have enough self esteem and independence that you don't have to rely on another person on anything you can't live without or that would hurt you tremendously if you didn't get it. Physically or mentally. Don't stan anyone, either.
Also, don't listen to me. I've been hurt by too many people in my life, so I'm overtly cautious and paranoid because of that. Have more faith in people than I do.

Also, social media is on apps and has several different kinds of checks, like "fit checks" and such where you show off your outfit, etc, people can "check" your profile and some apps show you how many people did, and read DMs can have "check" marks, ✅️. We go to the apps, "apply" for "checks" with our contribution, and that makes us the cast, the people performing for cash, because "checks" (of your profile, of your DMs) and likes make you get attention and in this day and age clout equals power equals money. (If you're not making money from your "fit check", at least the clothing manufacturers are, they're getting free advertisement, as an example.) And for so many people, that's the only thing keeping them going, they feel like they don't exist unless they're online.
There have been cases of young people with body dysmorphia and depersonalization so bad that they need to take selfies of themselves to remember how they look like. Sometimes they also need to have certain filters on before they think they look "like themselves". Like, I don't mean a personal style or aesthetic, I mean that their brain literally doesn't recognize their own face without the filters. Mind you, that these people have mental illnesses contributing to why this is. These are extreme examples, but they still reflect what a sad reality we live in...
And it had already started when I was a teen, when Facebook came. All the teens shared their every thought on Facebook (similar to how people use Twitter now) and if you disappeared for even a day, when you reappeared or people saw you live next time, they'd ask if you're ok.


The cash is just a "cast" and we're all walking..
I shouldn't say it 

In social media nowadays, certain words are flagged, so people started using euphemisms of certain words and it has been spreading to the real life as well, especially Gen Z and Gen Alpha talk like this sometimes outside social media as well. To kill is to "unalive" someone for example. And Knox can't say the word "dead".
Another thought I had was people walking into traffic while staring at their phones.

Still I'm just a victim of material system

"We're all part of this old money game". (Ren song reference.)
Knox's career is social media, mainly YouTube. But he needs to market himself on IG and Tiktok and god knows how many other platforms on top of that, because different media reaches different audience and as an independent artist, or anyone with a widely consumed product like hiphop, you want as many people as possible to see your work, because you're selling it.
Brings mind to this one time when he did a Patreon live to break down the lyrics of his newest release of the time and to me it was like a person I somewhat know, showing me a piece of art they did and being like "hey, look at this! I made it!" Like a kid showing a drawing, but we're all adults. And me being like "it's great, I love it!" (Genuinely.)
But when he referred to the live later, in another place, he called it "marketing the song". This shows how differently we think about things as consumers of music from the artists that make the music. For them, it's all work. They (hopefully) love their work, but it's still work. For us it's leisure, it's free time. An acquaintance sharing something with us that they have made.
Makes me wonder if he sees us, his fans, like I see our customers... it's like I have a different brain, that only hears facts I need to know to provide them with what they need, and skipping any emotions and gibber gabber coming out of their mouths. I've had customers share their medical history, their financial situation, their political views, losing loved ones, custody fights with their ex spouse, etc, and all of this makes me uncomfortable. I get that all of this ties into i.e. printing documents (regarding your medical history for example), what books they read, if they can afford the money they owe us, if their spouse just passed and they're there to check if they had any books loaned from us or debt to us, which one of the divorced parents should be the guardian of the child in our records, etc, it's just a part of their life that they have to deal with. But some of them don't seem to realize that I am not their friend, even though I see some of them every day, and I am not flirting with them, either. I listen to them and help them because I work there and that's what a good customer service person does.
Sure, there are certain clients I like and certain I very much dislike, but they all get pretty much the same service. Whether it's the lovely pastel lilac haired grandma in her 80s who's obsessed with reiki at the moment and always admires my purple hair out loud, or the sexist douchebag drunk who asks for the erotica books time and time again and I explain to him time and time again how to find them in our library, or the teen boys who read and read and read (our country, probably other countries as well, have a huge problem with boys not reading books and literally being less literate and having lower IQ because of it), the preteen girl groups and their constant drama, the adorable toddlers who are super duper hyped to be in the library and want to loan all the books (!!!), and that one lady who is so pretty I have trouble focusing on anything when she's there. No matter how I feel about them, I try my best to provide them with the same service. 
And I wonder if Knox does the same. Has opinions of us as individuals, but keeps them to himself, keeps a distance and only shows us the "customer service" Knox in his replies to comments and DMs. I think probably yes. Because first of all, there's over a million of us and one of him. He can't possibly even remember everyone. Second of all, it would be effing exhausting to care about each and every one of your customers/fans deeply - it's better for your own mental health to keep empathy out of it and not let them get under your skin. To have the "different brain" for talking with fans compared to talking to other people in your life. Third of all, it makes sense business-wise. Keeping an emotional distance (not stating your opinion on them out loud, for example), saying things they want to hear that you can somewhat stand behind as well, being polite, etc. It keeps the fans happy and this means they won't i.e. write mean things about you to their blogs or stop listening to your music and supporting you. It sounds cold, but that's how I would act in his shoes, how I somewhat act now towards our customers.

I try to stay away from rappin about materialism
But my pride, I can't deny that
I look into my daughter's eyes and money can't buy that

Probably meant "daughters' eyes" since he's got two. The foreigner in me, being so adamant about this 'cause I had to learn all these grammar rules in school... I'm like that about Finnish as well, though, and Finns make a lot of mistakes with compound words...
Finnish & literature was one of my strongest subjects in school. We get graded on a scale of 4-10, 4 being fail and 10 being the best possible grade, and I'd usually get 9s, sometimes 8s or 10s.
It doesn't really matter, in this context, I'm just being petty.

But what it can do is buy you time so let me try that
When they was born I was workin two jobs for that diaper money
Losin time with them cuz I was always grindin

Yeah. If one has to work two jobs to support their family, they won't have much time to spend with said family...
The super long work hours, working 2-3 jobs just to get by, constant grind are very American things, but that hustle culture is making it's way to Finland as well. It's good that we have stricter work laws and people are so unionized, otherwise I think we'd already have the same work culture they do...
But it's good Knox is more financially stable now and gets to spend time with his wife and kids.

Funny how a little hussle on the side
That started as a hobby
Floated like a body on the southside of the potomac
Kept rising, then it got me to a label lobby
Shakin hands with "such and such"
Tryna do a "suck me up"
360 then you f*ck me up

Hmm. I didn't know he's come this close to signing a record deal.

They want me with my X

Off My Chest!!! "Shoutout to the X, rest in peace" idk who/what X are, but it's a thing and Knox has parted ways with it/them. And I want to know, Off My Chest is one of my favorite Knox Hill tracks.

"I tell her 'suck it up'"

"Suck it up, buttercup" / a blowjob, "you can suck it"

The same thing I say to her, I say to them over at the table:
Keep it moving b*tch, I'm done with "labels"
So keep the tags
I'm done with fables I ain't here for makin paper like you
Nasty Knox
The independent demon
Hey "Chaos Theory 2" is comin
Just remember
Yup, will remember. It's probably full of these songs he's been releasing for the past year that I've been a fan, but still. 

Comments

Popular Posts