Ren - Sick Boi album ("Initial" Thoughts)

Ok, so... There's 18 tracks and I've heard at least 15 of them. Can't really call this an "initial reaction" anymore... But I didn't have this blog when I found Ren's music (found him in January or February 2023 through the YouTube reactor community and started this blog in May 2023. So I guess this is the first time I'm writing about most of the songs, though.
 Seven Sins. I heard this last Saturday on Ren's Twitch live stream, but this is my first proper listen of the song. 
I wish Spotify had the lyrics, I'd like to see them. Those are the thing I first paid attention to, on Saturday. I love the beat. You don't often hear classical instruments on rap beats. Well, at least I don't. I like the aggressive delivery, brings a rock-esque edge to the song. And not the polished, Olivia Rodrigo or Demi Lovato kind of rock, but a more authentic and raw kind of rock. But the delivery also makes it harder to make out what the lyrics are. I also like the progressive nature of the song - although, I recently learned progressive rap is rap with societally progressive lyrics. It's not like progressive rock or progressive metal where the musical composition of the individual song is progressive, it evolves over the course of the song. When I say "progressive", I mean the latter kind.
I think the treasure hunt Ren did was based around the seven deadly sins as well (and Money Game)? I had a huge, almost a week long headache then, so I didn't participate. Also, I didn't really get the point. He said we need to work together, but in the end, only one person won each time, so... It's just as unfair as the real life money game? The "little men" do all the work and the leaders in better positions (this time - those who happen to be in the right locations on earth and are able-bodied enough to go get the money) reak the benefits. If they happen to be decent people, they share the money, but with about a thousand participants, they each get around one pound each. And dividing that digitally for a bunch of strangers is a huge work load. 99% of people wouldn't bother. Only giving a portion to people who solved a piece in the puzzle isn't fair either. Anyone who has said anything about the matter might have helped them to come to the conclusion they did and they might not even realize it themselves. 
Sick Boi. Great song. Great video, they're both such good actors. Ren's own life and commantary on Britain's health care system in the lyrics. 10/10.
Animal Flow. I was in the premiere and solved the thing he had (has?) on his website. It was a bit too easy, though. I wish there would have been multiple right answers, kind of like easter eggs. I'm still surprised people don't get the "animal skins, over my shoulders like bling, I take your life with a grin" part. Yes, Ren wears leather and eats meat. That's the point. WE are also animals, but somehow we think we're more valuable as animals because we happen to be human. He's just stating facts about humans, not taking a stance on whether what we're doing is right or wrong. I've been meaning to break down these lyrics, but I feel incompetent to do so. I compare myself to others too much on that regard.
Money Game Part 3. When I saw the video, I was wondering how would this be different from the album version: It starts of from the piano. And then goes to the melody and then rap. I love the storytelling. It drives home the message better than just talking about the matter. People relate to stories about people. I love it when he cuts the music and then continues with poetry. I think I could break down these lyrics and have a unique perspective...
Lost All Faith. Heard this on Ren's live on Saturday. I love the beat and the lyrics. I love everything. 10/10.
Genesis. Great song, heard many times. Very catchy but also deep. Doesn't hit me on a personal level like some other Ren songs, though.
Murderer. 6/10. Catchy. I still don't get why is he a murderer... And the "finger in the anus" and the word bitch bring the score down even more. Not a fan.
Suicide. 11/10. Songs that hit me on a personal level are why I am a fan of Ren. 🖤
Illest Of Our Time. 10/10. The beat, the doubles, the rapping skills, the attitude and the athmosphere... THE VIBES! I love this song. This was the first song he released after I found his music and he liked my comment <3
Love Music, Pt. 4. Meh. I love the first three ones. It doesn't hit the same. It seems lacluster and bland compared to the uncontrollolable joy of the previous ones. The borderline sexist lyrics fit in the rap genre, though. 6,5/10.
Uninvited. Funny. How to talk about sex and make it fun instead of sexist. Hint and leave it to the listener's dirty imagination to draw conclusions. And make the sex fun, not dirty.
What You Want. Yes. I love Beastie Boys and this reminds me of them. Video is great too, a bunch of friends having fun. Shows Ren's versatility within one genre.
The Hunger. 10/10. THE SKILLS! THE EARGASM! ❤️
Down On The Beat. I guess it's kinda funny. Hook is boring, though. And the beat. 6/10. I almost want to give it a 5 = it might as well not exist, it doesn't do anything to me... but it has a couple moments in the verses I like.
Masochist. Annoying. I can't believe I'm listening this again, voluntarily... But I want Ren to get the stream numbers... 4/10. He can still rap very well, so it's not a 1-3/10.
Loco. I saw Knox react to this live. This song's a bit unhinged and I love it. It's funny. 8/10.
Wicked Ways. I think I heard this on Saturday. I like the references to earlier songs on the album. Hook has Ashnikko vibes and that's a good thing. When he goes fast <3 8/10
Sick Boi, Pt. 2. Which leaves this to be the only song I had not heard before. The whispery part sounded so good <3 But overall... it's a rap song. A bit generic. But I guess it's important to show he can do that, too. 7/10.

Comments

Popular Posts