Anthony Ray - Avalanche (Initial Thoughts)

YouTube happened to recommend this to me. I'm aware he's a rapper and has a reaction channel on YouTube, but I've never listened to his music before.

His singing voice is quite deep and very pleasant to listen to. I got one of those slow-burning eargasms I recently used to describe another song. I get this quivering feeling in my core, chills on my arms and my body releases endorphines. 9.5/10 for singing. Or even 10/10, I don't have any complaints... It's only a 9.5/10 if I compare his singing abilities to others. But I don't want to do that, so it's a 10 from me.

Hook was good, 8.5/10. And this is coming from a person who is very selective and picky on hiphop hooks.

I really like his flows... I still lack the right vocabulary to describe them, but I'mma just invent my own, for now. They're sort of... precise. What I mean by that is that he'll hit certain points of the bar at certain points of the beat, and then hits the same points of the beat in the next bar, and so on. Some rappers are more "relaxed" with their delivery, they just fit all the syllables of a bar inside a sequence of the beat, but are not as precise about which points of the beat they're hitting. I very much prefer Anthony's way of doing it, it's way more pleasing to my ears. I think it's the prog metal fan in me. 9.5/10 for flows.

I really appreciate having the lyrics on the video. Idk if it was just this one, since some of the lyrics were not in English. I think they were in French. But anyway, I do appreciate it. French or no French. I'd have to break down the lyrics to really get what he was saying, though... But that's on me. 

Beat was ok, nothing too exciting, but it's not bad by any means. 8/10.
Same with mixing and sound quality. Those aren't big factors to me anyway, but I've started to pay a little more attention to them after I started attending the Ian Taylor livestreams. He always scores the songs and mixing is one of the factors. And he's pretty harsh on that, too. It's probably because he makes his own beats, and beats for other people, too. Etc. All the technology side of making music, that I know very little of. He "has an ear for" the mixing of a song more than I do. But this is my blog and in my opinion, Anthony's voice was nice and front and sound quality was more than satisfactory for an independent artist. (At least I think he's independent.) 9/10.
His annunciation was fine, 7/10.

Overall, I'd give the song 8.5/10. That's not an average score of the scoring before, because not all factors are equal. I think that if I got into the lyrics more, that might get the song to a 9/10. 

Comments

Popular Posts