Weekly Recap (July 3rd-9th, 2023)

Discover Weekly
- Dana Dentata - pantychrist (A female rapper, some screaming vocals. Trippy, a bit creepy. I love it.)
- Mimi Barks - 11.PLAGUE/666 (Very aggressive delivery. I like it today, but wouldn't like it every day.)
- Rapture - Misery 24/7
- The Ocean - Miocene | Pliocene (Progressive doom metal. The chorus is amazing! Verses get a little bit dull over time, though.)
- Samael - In the Deep - remastered 2019 (This slaps! Epic metal music, Idk what the subgenre is, though...)
- No Face No Case feat. 33 Movement - Reality Check ("wtf did I just listen to???" but in a good way... this so weird and I love it!)
- Periphery - Crush (I've heard of Periphery, but never heard any songs by them before. I love this. It's prog metal, but very radio friendly at the same time... very catchy. Perfect gateway band to prog metal.)
- Mvko feat. Berried Alive - Nowhere to Grow (rap, electronic and rock/metal... very pleasant to listen to, at least IMO)
- Earthshatter - Ghost Orchid
- Dope - Believe (Dope still sounds dope. They were one of my favourite bands as a teen.)
- Polyphia feat. Chino Moreno - Bloodbath (Another band I've heard good things about but not yet checked out - Polyphia I mean. They sound good. Prog rock, I'd say. A lot calmer than Periphery.)
- Entail of Crow - Ayahuasca
- Hollow - Medulla (A bit weird and artsy electronic music. Wouldn't listen to this every day, but it sure is interesting. I especially love it when they "break" the melody and there's a "random" sound instead of notes... They compliment the lyrics nicely.)
- MXMS - Timebomb (More dark rap, that I've been getting a lot lately. Very catchy.)


Chinchilla published a live version of her song Little Girl Gone. Her singing was 10/10, like always, but I prefer the studio version. This didn't pack the same punch as that one. The YouTube premiere had about 450 people when the video started, and 150-200 more people joined a little late.

Banshee feat. ZAND - KILL ALL PREDATORS was a song I heard in the middle of the week and wrote down for some reason, but can't remember why... But here it is.

Release Radar
- Tech N9ne, Kim Dracula & HU$H - W H A T (I should technically love this, but it just isn't doing anything rn... I am having a bad day, it might not be the song's fault)
- Wolves At The Gate - Attack (this isn't new, though? Or it's a cover)
- Olivia Rodrigo - vampire (7,5/10)
- Depeche Mode - Wagging Tongue (Wet Leg remix)
- Istasha - Jungle Puppy
- Darkher - Like Suicide (Her voice is hauntingly beautiful. This is the type of song I needed today. When I feel depressed, I need calm songs about depression, to feel understood and to put my thoughts to words. And then when I start to feel better, I need a happier song to cheer me up.)
- Starbenders - We're Not OK

Corpse ft. Bring Me The Horizon - Code Mistake is a 7.5/10. As expected. The metal is... even with the breakdown in the end... ok. Just ok. I'm glad to see Corpse is still doing music, though, after the face reveal. He shouldn't let that affect his career. If that's his face, I just want to say 1) he looks just fine, chill! not THAT much different from the animated face 2) looks don't matter, the music you make does.

csl scruby - DONNIE DARKO
Someone suggested this to Knox and it's my favourite movie so of course I had to check it out! In the very beginning, there's Frank and the phrase "wake up". Can't catch all the bars, but I'm learning to like this kind of relaxed cadence. When I was only a metalhead and not yet a hiphop head, I only liked the spitter flow. Eminem is THE GOAT rapper for metalheads and the reasons are many (aggressive delivery, straight up honest lyricism, being protested against and procecuted by authority figures like metal was, etc). Internal rhymes still throw me off, I can only focus on one at a time: 1) flow, 2) rhyme schemes 3) lyrics. And my mind tends to focus on the rhyme schemes. Then I have to go back if I want to hear the lyrics as well... His flow gets boring after a while. And he's just in the movie theater the whole time... Unless there's something missing from the context, I think it's just a superficial fererence to the movie. I don't like it, but I'm open to be convinced to change my opinion.

Comments

Popular Posts