The Nu Metal Revival in the pop/hyperpop/rap scene

I've been meaning to talk about this since I started this blog, but haven't so... Here's a quick little thing I put together:

This is a YouTube comment I wrote 5 months ago:

 "There's this "nu metal revival" happening, where queer female / nonbinary people have started to include metal into their pop music. I read about this on Wikipedia by accident about a week ago and immediately went through all the artists the article listed. Link to chapter in the article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal#2011%E2%80%93present:_Revivals_and_fusion_with_other_genres

Some stuff to check out, if this got anyone interested: - Ashnikko - You make me sick! (2023) - Ashnikko - Cry (feat. Grimes) (2020) - Ashnikko - Maggots (2021) It's essentially hyperpop and rap mixed together, but I think it has a metal edge to it, especially the Vevo live version. - Poppy - Am I A Girl? (2018 album) She has pretty much become the face of the revival movement. Most metal song from the album is probably Play Destroy (feat. Grimes). - Poppy - I Disagree (2020 album) The entire album is nu metal. My favourite songs are BLOODMONEY, I Disagree and Anything Like Me. She also has one album released before these and one after these, but I haven't listened to them yet, since Wikipedia did not list them on the article. - Rina Sawayama. Everything she's ever done has been a mix of different music styles, including metal. She makes the blend sound so effortless, it's hard to pick songs to recommend, but here you go: STFU! (2019), Alterlife (2017), Who's Gonna Save You Now? (2020) & Enter Sandman (Metallica cover). I also love XS (2020), it was the first song I heard from her, but it's not the most metal song from her. The singing has some metal vibes occasionally and obviously there is an electric metal guitar in the mix, but otherwise it's a pop song. - Grimes - We Appreciate Power (2020). See also the songs she's featuring in. - Dorian Electra - Ram It Down (2020). I haven't gotten really deep into their stuff yet, but I am intrigued. - Dorian Electra - M'Lady (2020) - Scene Queen. She describes her music as bimbocore, which is metalcore with feminist themes. Her songs sound like if Barbie (think Aqua - Barbie Girl) decided to go metal. You love it or you hate it. Or are on the edge, like me. She was not listed in the Wikipedia article but definitely deserves to be included. My favourite song from her is The Rapture (but it's Pink) (feat. Mothica) (2022). I would also like to add, that In This Moment has been doing similar music for several years now, although they did not start from pop, they went straight to nu metal. Babymetal should also count, even though they are an industry plant (=created by someone in the record label and hiring singers, instead of being a self-made angry feminist artist like most of the movement)."

After writing that, I've heard more metal-y stuff from Dorian Electra, Lil Mariko occasionally has metal in her songs as well...

If we expand it from the "angry feminist" part of the definition, then CORPSE, Arankai and Lil Uzi Vert also count (who is, and I just found this out, gender non-conforming... I like them more and more every time I hear from them, although the first impression was not good)...

Also, I love Scene Queen now. After 18+ (the song) came out, it clicked and now I love her. She keeps getting better and better.

There's probably other artists I should be mentioning, but are forgetting now... I'll just come back to this post and add them here if I realize someone later who should be included...

Comments

Popular Posts