My 1st attempt to break down rhyme schemes etc

 Okay, so, I barely know any of the right vocabulary for any of this, but I want to learn. I know what an internal rhyme scheme is, and that some rhymes are called A-rhymes, B-rhymes, etc. I know that one thing people do is try and rhyme as many syllables as possible between two bars that are next to each other. I'm just gonna use colors for most of this.

The verse I'm using is Paleface's verse from his song with few other rappers, called Historiaa. I will translate it at some point in my translation blog. I picked it, because I was typing down the lyrics just before writing this, from the CD leaflet (I loaned the CD from the library because I was quite sure internet wouldn't have the lyrics, or the right ones at least), and immediatelly noticed the rhymes he was using. Also, it is SOOO much easier for me to find rhymes in Finnish verses. I hear them in English, but can't see them when I look at the lyrics...

Here we go:

Laajensin tajuntaani vuosii, nyt se valtava!

tää on tajuntamatka vasta-alkajast almanakkalaulajaks

He's using a lot of A-sounds on purpose, I marked those in red (and orange and yellow).
Then there's that kind of a double, where he uses the word in one meaning in the 1st bar and in another meaning in the next bar, in yellow.
And the regular end rhymes are in orange.

otin sotaa varten, vartavasten talteen nuolii, nyt se on alkamas

otin Paavalilta lastenlasten vuoksi kasteen, cyal me Barnabas

He's repeating a word again, which technically makes it a rhyme.
He has a bunch of words with A-E vowels in them, making them rhyme (in cyan).
The UO-I words in blue rhyme.
Se and me rhyme with each other.
And the end rhymes, in plum.

rastamaan ja vastarannan kiiski, vastatusten aulassa

ei rukousnauha kaulas saunassa voi rukoillakaan rauhassa

A-A-A word in red.
Two words that start with "vasta-", in bold.
AU-A word in orange, incl. the end rhyme.
The -ssa endings, in the end rhymes and in the middle of the second bar, something many rappers like to do.
Rukousnauha (prayer beads) and rukoillakaan (even to pray) both have the word rukous/prayer, and that's why they technically rhyme as well.

tuhoon kuulopuheet uhoomatta, putoomatta kartalta

mut kukapa uskaltas uhmata jumalaa, ha, voit vaan arvata

U-O sound combos in green, even though three are U-OO and one is UU-O
Internal rhyme scheme of U-A-A words in light blue.
At least 5 syllable rhyme scheme in the end rhyme: "mat-ta kar-tal-ta" and "ha - vaan ar-va-ta". I've heard they don't have to be back to back in the end to still count.
There's also the -matta ("without something") ending in two words.

kädet on rakoilla, jalat on hapoilla, välillä mahoton pysyä aloillaan

kun on lentäny lentäväl matolla jossakin ylemmil tajunnan tasoilla

A-OI-A words in blue, I included one A-O-A as well, though.
There's the two words relating to lentäminen, flying, in plum.
Then there's an alliteration, "tajunnan tasoilla", with the TA-beginning.
There's "only" a six syllable rhyme scheme despite the first bar having nine blue syllables, because the second has only six: ma-tol-la, ta-soil-la. At least I think that's how they work.

Silti pahoista tavoista koskaan ei keritä varoittaa ajoissa,

ei ehitä tavoittaa ennen ku istutaan isoissa taloissa

A-OI-A words, one OI-A word. Continued using the blue, because it's the same vowels as in the previous bars.
Two E-I-Ä words.
Words starting with E's, that popped up to me for some reason. I'm not sure if they count.
A 9 syllable rhyme scheme, because in the latter bar has: "ta-voit-taa, -ois-sa, ta-lois-sa" and the word "ei".

kamoissa, kettingit jaloissa, kolmannen asteen kirkkaissa valoissa

Elvist on etsitty lavoilta, merkitty mies, mut selvinny sakoilla

sietokykynsä rajoilta, palannu takasin kiertoradoilta

kahlitse, rajoita, hallitse, hajoita, sitä mitä tiede tai tieto ei rajoita

Continuing with the A-OI-A rhymes.
First bar uses a lot of words starting with a K.
Second one uses E and E, then M and M and then S and S. 
IE-sounds in orange.
"Pala-" and "taka-" rhyme with each other.
E-I-Y words in yellow.
A-I-E in green.

Sitsä palaat kohtuun, palaat takas alkuun,

lopuks Markku pannaan makaan arkkuun

A-A and A-AA combos in light pink.
A-U and A-UU combos in red.
In total, six syllables rhyme between the bars.
Playing with the PA- beginnings and M- beginnings.

palaa loppuun, joutuu lähtee karkuun

aseit joihin koulut käskee tarttuu

poikalapsi voittajaksi varttuu,

pyssy mahtuu loistavasti salkkuun

pilven reunal soittamas sit harppuu,

voita matsi, soita taksi Markku!

OU-U combos on green.
Ä-EE in yellow.
A-U in orange, the end rhymes.
OI-A-A-I words and one set of two words, four syllables each, that rhyme.
Internal A-B-A-B rhyme scheme in the last bar, OI-A and A-I combo words.
The two middle bars have another 8 syllables that rhyme.

Comments

Popular Posts