Zero 9:36 (Three Song Listen)

I've already heard and liked the song Reset, so I'm gonna listen to that one again. The End and Adrenaline are their most streamed songs on Spotify, with over 23 million streams each, so those will be my other two songs.

Reset
Guitar and rapping. It's like... alternative hiphop... or a mix of hiphop and rock. I think it's two rappers. One is aggressive with the delivery, like Eminem, the other is softer and sings the chorus as well. This is so nice. No wonder this made me add them to the Three Song Listen list.

The End
This delivery borders on screaming at some points... Is this a nu metal band? Reminds me of Linkin Park. I love it. The lyrics sound good, too, I need to dive deeper into them some time...

Adrenaline
Slow song. Composition of the chorus is a bit repetitive, but otherwise I really like this. And I'm not usually a fan of ballads (I'm very selective). If they're a hiphop group, then the chorus' composition would make sense, since those people tend to focus more on honing their rapping rather than their composition, and in hiphop, the hook is repetitive on purpose - they're trying to make it stick to your head, after all.

I googled and Zero 9:36 is a 26-year-old rapper named Matthew Cullen from Pennsylvania, USA. As I suspected: A rapper, who added in rock later. What I am surprised at was that he's a solo artist. He can rap with multiple different deliveries and sing quite well. And play instruments. Talented dude.

He has released three albums and a bunch of singles and even these three songs have a lot more to unpack (lyric-wise) than what I did here, so he's not going to the Deep Dive list, that would do him disservice... I'm adding these three songs to my Lyrical Breakdown list and savor his art one piece at a time...

Comments

Popular Posts