Weekly Recap (June 12th-18th, 2023)

Discover Weekly
- Haken - Invasion (Prog rock. It's interesting how they wrote the lyrics, building on top of what was said before, and then suddenly didn't, but instead had internal rhymes... Inspiring.)
- IMMERSE - With You (I love how simplified the beginning is. It wasn't until she started screaming, though, that I was sold. Love it.)
- Deadly Circus Fire - In Darkness We Trust (<3 wow. Incredible, almost entirely a cappella)
- OSI - Radiologue (A mix of acoustic and electronic, stands out from the crowd. Very catchy. Complete shift halfway through the song. Same core melody, but still very different. Same hook.)
- Day/Four - Nothing's Over (Occasionally, even simpler rock songs just work for me... such as this one.)
- Cevilain - How It Ends (Love the metronome ticking sounds in stereo :D and his voice, when he's belting. )
- Celldweller - Good L_ck (Yo_'re F_cked) (Bop.)
- fade - Black Hearts &amp; Dollar $ign$ (Deadman Wonderland or something? I know this melody, but the lyrics are wrong?? "Stuck in your wonderland" etc. The song is a bit meh, but this is just bothering me... a lot. - - I googled and it's the same band, but the song I know is called One Reason, and it was on the anime Deadman Wonderland. Idk why are they recycling their own melodies...)

Bo Burnham is one of the best comedians of our generation. He manages to make songs that are 1) very good critiques on the genre/topic they're about 2) not in bad taste 3) easily understantable 4) very funny. It is a very fine line and he succeeds every time.
I.e. words words words. It's a rap song, and a good one at that. The word play (syllables, internal rhymes, doubles/triples, etc) is phenomenal and his rapping is pretty good. The hook is great. = The song is in good taste, because he actually put work into creating a good rap song, even though it is also a parody of rap songs. The reason I think it's a parody is because in typical radio rap song fashion, all he's talking about is sex. The song is very misogynistic. On purpose, because it's a parody. And he addresses his own misogyny in the song itself, in the beginning and in the end. In the beginning he says "I'm a feminine Eminem, a Slim Shady lady" (Slim Shady is Eminem's alter ego, who's known to be very sexist) and in the end "But bitches and hoes don't exist, cause the hoes know Bo's a feminist". Also, calling himself feminine and a lady, and later "I'm a gay sea otter / I blow other dudes out of the water" (calling himself gay, even though he's straight) shows he's not about the toxic masculinity many rappers are about. He's not afraid to seem feminine or gay. The song is easy to get into and funny, but I missed A LOT of what he was saying (mostly because he's referencing a lot of American children's culture and I didn't grow up there, so... obviously I didn't know those). I recommend Knox Hill's breakdown on the song, to catch all the bars. He just lacked the meta context of it being a well made parody of a rap song, so I decided to write about that myself.

The Chichilla Deep Dive is... on hold. I'm still missing (=haven't watched) some YouTube videos, and my work schedule has changed... I used to take an hour long bus ride to and from work five days a week, which gave me plenty of time to go through Discover Weekly on Monday, New Music Friday on Friday, and deep dives etc Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Now, during the summer, I'm working at a different location closer to home, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'm opting to take an electric scooter to work instead of a bus. Which means I cannot type or watch a screen when I go to work. I have to focus on the driving, too, so I can't really focus on listening, either. (=I just listen to songs I already know.) Also, I suffer from motion sickness, so looking at a screen has to be easily pausable if the bus hits the brakes, turns, there's bumps on the road, etc, such as when you're typing. It's harder, when you're watching a video. So, my goal was to watch the remaining Chinchilla videos at home rather than on the bus. And I keep forgetting to do so. I'll get there eventually...

Release Radar
- Stu Brooks feat. Poppy & Danny Elfman - They'll Just Love You (Poppy's screams, whoever's rapping... yes!)
- Pihka Is My Name - Station in Flames (Nice instrumental EDM track. Bop.)
- Mercedes feat. Vilma Alina - Solut (Finnish rap. Very dope word play. I have to translate this!)
- The Weeknd feat. Suzanna Son - Family (GOSH her voice is beautiful!)
- Billy Talent - Rusted from the Rain Live (It's an old song by them, such an underrated song by people (adults) back in the day... The metaphors are great, his singing is very well controlled and it's very catchy as well. Deserves a mention here. And nice to see they still got it and can play the song as well as they did about 15 years ago.)
- Depeche Mode feat. ANNA - My Cosmos Is Mine (ANNA remix) (A bit long, at 8min, but ANNA manages to keep it interesting)
- YUNGBLUD - Lowlife (Bop.)
- The Old Dead Tree - Terrified (This is pretty good! A prog(?) metal song.)
- The Anix - Tethered
- Nik Nocturnal ft. Cameron Humphrey - WORSHIP (Wow. This is great!)
- Aural Vampire - KUMO NO ITO

Comments

Popular Posts