Weekly Recap (May 22nd-28th, 2023)

Discover Weekly:
- WARGASM - Spit. (Very interesting... I liked their song last week, as well, so I might as well add them to the Three Song Listen list, I'm 66% there already, lol.)
- VUKOVI - QUENCH (interesting tempo/rhythm - not your typical 4/4 - and mixing of genres and production. Three song listen list.)
- Siiickbrain - I'm Sick (wow. Aggressive, emotional rap... liked. I will not forgive this any time soon. Might check out more at some point.)
- Gurldoll - Burn My Flesh Away (I disagree with the mixing, voice being inside the mix instead of in front. But her voice and delivery and music are interesting. I wonder if she made the entire song alone.)
- NEMOPHILA - ZEN (I'm not super familiar with fry screams, but I like how her voice sounds. Very even, not piercing at all. And then the left turn with the clean and pop influences, and later some Eastern influences... the heck is this genre??)
- Crywolf - ABBADON [love lets you know you are safe, but violence lets you know you are safe] (nice metallic soundscape, this guy knows his production! Calm song throughout, nice variety for all the fast pace rap and metal Spotify has given me lately. Except right as I typed that, the song changed... it's very artistic)
- Mesh - Kill Your Darlings (I'm pretty sure this is a cover, or maybe it just sounds different because it's a single version... but I've heard it before)
- FOXCULT - Haunted (wow, what a range and control this singer has... such beautiful cleans and nice mid range growl scream...)
- Blue Stahli - Prognosis (interesting... it's like prog rock, but I think it was made with a computer... my friend is a huge fan and now I'm not surprised at all. Liked)
- MISSION - I Don't Even Care About You (electronic, catchy, melancholic... if this isn't a hit song on Tiktok, Idk why. This has e-girls and other alt kids written all over it.)
- Hadouken! - Something Very Bad (the clicking sound is very nice, the hook works super well, the rapping has an interesting effect on top of it... I love this. Added to three song listen)
- The Buttress - Brutus (that artist name is... weird... but I love the poeming/rapping and the lyrics... three song listen!)
- Medusa ft. Boy Jr. - Kinda Outta Luck (very catchy and upbeat. Catches and keeps your attention.)
- poutyface - HEY NEIGHBOR! (I've never heard anyone like Ashnikko, but as good and different enough to not sound like a copy... most music that sounds like hers, the lyrics are just... dumb. At first listen, this didn't suck! Lol)
- Anchor Thought - Built to Bow (catchy rock, some screams, but also symphonic metal elements... talented people!)

In the middle of the week I listened to:
Chinchilla - Elements (aaaand she's going into the deep dive list)
Dirty Heads - Red Lights
I realized I know two songs by Emeline - What it means to be a girl AND Strut! I didn't know I liked two songs by her. I need more, she's going on the deep dive list.

On Wednesday I started Deep Diving to Chichilla.

On Thursday morning, I lost my phone and didn't get it back until Friday afternoon... So I dug out my old mp3 player... I got it when I was about 15 (~2007), and used it up until just ~2-3 years ago, when I downloaded Spotify. It's old as heck, but still works perfectly. It doesn't have a screen, so I had to play the guessing game and try to remember what the songs were called. (You can only see the full list if you hook it up to a computer with a wire.) I didn't get them all, but I tried to write down something I could identify the songs by - a piece of the lyrics, the language and music style, where I know the song from, etc. I remembered the song title, the artist or both on 31/37 songs that my mp3 played. Most of the ones I didn't remember were random anime songs (OST). I was a little bit into anime about 8 years ago, but I listened to a lot more anime music than watched anime, actually. I'm not getting into which songs I remembered and which I had to look up, but here's the full list of songs I was able to identify eventually:
- The Dying Breed - My World Down (from an anime called Beck - my favourite anime of all time)
- Disturbed - Land of Confusion
- Theory of a Deadman - Angel
- Paradise Lost - Fader (Amazing band. I did a deep dive into their stuff in 2018. Pioneers of death/doom AND goth metal. Saw them live last year, too.)
- Three Days Grace - Pain
- Die Antwoord - Pitbull Terrier (This band is very... odd, but good. But as I am aware of it, I'd like to point out that their adoptive son has made some very serious allegations about things that happened to him and his sister in their childhood. Incl. drugs, guns, violence, SA. And knowing about the band and their image, I wouldn't be surprised if those were true... 😕)
- Aaliyah - Try Again
- Wamdue Project - King of My Castle (yes, that 90s hit song.)
- Celldweller - Switchback
- Otep - Lie
- Kosheen - Catch
- Dope - Nothing for me here (Underrated! They were so good...)
- Massive Attack - Teardrop
- Tasogare - Requiem (from Otome X Amnesia)
- Ace of Base - Happy Nation
- Otep - On the Shore
- Rihanna - S&M
- Hoobastank - Out of Control
- Pendulum ft. In Flames - Self Vs. Self
- ?
- Misa's Song (from the anime Death Note)
- Paradise Lost - Never Take Me Alive (the live version they recorded with an orchestra, from Tragic Illusion 25. Also, it took me this long to figure out this is a cover.)
- Otep - Lords of War (as you can tell, I was really trying to get into Otep back then... she's seems like a great person, but her music is... just fine. Could be better. The worst part is, idk what she should do different to make it better...)
- Christina Aguilera - Stronger
- Prodigy - Firestarter
- Lordi - Magistra Nocte (Yes, that band that dresses in monster costumes and won Eurovision in 2006. And yes, this is a solo piano ballad.)
- Peter Gundry - The Vampire Masquerade
- ?
- ?
- Twenty One Pilots - Car Radio
- Children 18:3 - Cover Your Eyes (I used to be religious and listen to christianrockmusic.com back in the day... that's where I found this song)
- ?
- Bullet For My Valentine - Hand of Blood
- Epica - Run For a Fall (a live acoustic version, in a studio...)
- Prodigy - Omen

For some reason it took me this long to realize I've heard Baby Shark (the cute/annoying hit song 3-8 years ago) when I was a child, but in Finnish... The melody is completely different, but the lyrics are almost the same and so are the hand movements that accompany the song. You can check yourself, the Finnish version is Fröbelin Palikat - Hailaulu. We pondered it with my fiance and came to the conclusion that it must be one of those games that children invented way back and then when people populated new areas of the world they spread. Or possibly, when kids moved to different countries with their parents later on in history and then taught the kids they encountered the games they played back in their home country. I have a degree in youth work, I read an entire book about this topic once. About children's culture, like games, and how they were never documented like adult's culture.

I listened to Lil Mabu - Trip to the Hood and lost it at the bar "The only ho I need is a whole lotta green" 🤣🤣 

Release Radar (listened to on Monday):
- Ashnikko - Possession of a Weapon
- Duhryus feat. Token - Woah (I finally understand why I like him so much... Token, that is. It's the internal rhymes, etc, the rapping skills, to put it shortly 😄)
- The Foreshadowing - We the Others
- venbee feat. Shapes - gutter (Shadows VIP Extended Mix)
 - Celldweller feat. Daedric - The End of the World - HIGHSOCIETY remix (eargasm, especially the vocals and the high energy near the end)
 - SOM - Personal Jesus (why have I never before heard a gothic-y cover of this song?? works so well!)
 - Banshee - GET ME OUT OF THIS CLUB (weeeird, she's not screaming... it's a dance track)
 - Sleep Token - Ascensionism (gosh, the multiple left turns this took <3 I love it I love it I love it!!)
 - Halocene, KAYLA KING, Lauren Babic - Closer (omg yes... this song needed to be covered...)
 - The Browning - Fearless (Jonny McBee cover) (interesting combo of metal and electronic...)
 - Unlike Pluto - Losing Myself to Find You
 - Mallavora - Eternal
 - grandson - Murderer (I love how intense this is. And the internal rhyming is cool. I, like, really like him, I think I need to put him on the Deep Dive list and really dive into his lyrics etc.)

Comments

Popular Posts