Weekly Recap (May 15th-21st, 2023)

Discover Weekly:
- RedHook - Bad Decisions (very catchy rock song, and the rap made it even better)
- ALEX feat. Megan McDuffee - VILLAIN (intense industrial/EDM music, very interesting vocals mixing clean vocals and fry screaming)
- Carach Angren - The Necromancer (horror-themed metal music, a bit epical and musical-like)
- Elliot Lee - Rubies (a female rapper, quite fast spitter rap, lyrics are a bit weird, they're about rubies and murder/horror themes. Added to Three Song Listen list.)
- nothing,nowhere. - death (very nice aggressive rap and metal mix. Going to Three Song Listen list.)
- Cult of Luna - Cygnus (very nice, I liked it)
- Kade McCuen - Bad side (rap and alt pop mix, apparently an independent artist/YouTuber, who only started about two years ago)
- [AMATORY] feat. RAM - Нож (aggressive spitter rap and great metal vocals, all in Russian)
- Atomic Guava - Cowboy Tanaka (interesting... a bit progressive, and the vocals are a mix of clean power-metalish stuff and aggression... a female singer)
- Hyper feat WARGASM (UK) - Spoiler - Recoil (I'VE HEARD THAT BASS PATTERN SOMEWHERE AND IT'S BOTHERING ME!!)

Tuesday and Wednesday I mainly listened to Ashnikko. The only problem in her music is that there isn't enough of it...

Thursday Ren released Animal Flow live version. Almost 4000 people were watching that one as it happened, same as Animal Flow music video. It was nice. Recorded at the back of a bus, with just Ren and a guitar and a cameraman. He's so good at rapping he doesn't even need a beat... it's amazing. And he has such control over his delivery as well, it's... phenomenal. I can sing a little bit, but I have very little control over my delivery. Ren can get so many different sounds out it's truly inspiring to watch...

Ashnikko revealed that a new song is coming out, called Possession of a Weapon, out May 24th. The album is delayed and it was not Ash's choice to do so. New release date is August 25th. I'll do my thoughts on a blog post before it's released, hopefully.

Release Radar
- Sleep Token - Take Me Back to Eden (amazing, more mixing genres ^^ over 8min and so many freaking genres I can't even... amazing... they need to go on my Deep Dive list)
- Stoneside. - Avalanche (very nice prog song, didn't get enough attention from me because I was listening to this on a bus, as I always do, added to three song listen list)
- Tiësto - Feel Your Ghost (interesting, high-pitched singing, very catchy)
- Kesha - Only love can save us now (FINALLY, new music from Kesha. In case you don't know, she had some major hit songs in early 2010s, way ahead of her time, loved and hated by many. Then her producer sexually assaulted her, and her record label refused to let her out of her contract, where it was written that she is the singer and he is the producer, end of story. It resulted in years of legal battles and finally she was out. Then she announced she was working on new music. This doesn't sound like her old stuff, but I think that's great, maybe she's ahead of her time again? Like Madonna was back in 90s and 2000s and she and Lady Gaga were in the 2010s.)
- Young Shushu feat. Big L - Shushu Champloo (nice song, but I feel like I've heard this before...)
- Nita Strauss, In Flames, Anders Friden - The Golden Trail
- grandson released a slow song... apparently I didn't even write the name down, that's how baffled I was... From what I can remember, he's a rapper? Not that artists shouldn't do multiple genres, but this just caught me off guard.
- Luna Kills - super sick (THIS IS AMAZING! add to three song listen list)
- Crown the Empire, Palaye Royale, Remington Leigh - Superstar (the inner emo kid in me loves this)

I haven't been as productive with this blog as I at first thought I was gonna be. I have a bunch of post ideas, but I just haven't felt like listening to that much new stuff and on the older stuff, I have some unfinished and some finished stuff that I've written, but I there's that small voice in my head telling me to not post it, you know? It's not intuition, it's doubt. Whatever it would be that I would post I feel like it would not be up to a certain standard I have set for myself, and I don't know why that standard exists. As far as I know, my blog had one viewer on the first week and I don't know if they're coming back and who they are - is it someone I know or someone who reads a lot of blogs or someone who was reading anything they could find on a certain artist... Since week two, I've been writing on the Blogger phone app, which doesn't show the viewer count. Since I am only focusing on music I like and I am not omnipotent, I am a human being and we are allowed to be flawed and make mistakes, I didn't expect myself to create a standard. I expected this to be just an outflow of whatever's in my head, musically. That is my goal for the upcoming weeks. To write about whatever. So, expect about a million posts about how much I love Ashnikko. Actually, don't expect that, either. Expect nothing.

Lastly, I want to shout out a YouTube channel called There I Ruined It. They do short, funny little music-related videos about once a month. Mostly it's taking a music editing software and making something fun out of the songs. This week they published a video where they made Frank Sinatra's voice sing Lil Wayne lyrics and I was literally crying because I laughed so hard. Like this emoji: 🤣. If you're new to them, I recommend the Best of 2022 or whatever it's called. It's a compilation of the best stuff they did last year.

Comments

Popular Posts