Introduction

 This is a blog post introducing you to this blog you're reading right now. I decided to make a list of questions one might have about the blog and then answer them. So here we go:

Who are you?

My name is Laura, I go online as Zinetha. I was born in 1992 and have lived in Finland my whole life. I am queer, a metalhead, a geek, a gamer, a goth... Yeah, that pretty much summarizes it. On my free time I mostly consume and produce all kinds of art and commentary on it, incl. visual arts, theater, tv shows, movies, games and music. I'm a librarian, so I pretty much do the same at work, too.

What is this blog about?

It's about music, and it's going to involve my commentary and thoughts on music. I'm narrowing it down to music that I like (even if I have some critique on it). But, like, if someone actually starts to read my blog and asks me to talk about an artist or band, I will probably do it.

Why is the blog in English, if you're Finnish?

Because the music I listen to is mostly in English. It somehow makes more sense to me to comment on it in English. I've also had a song translation blog (Finnish to English) for over a decade now, so reviving that after a few years of a hiatus goes well with this - if I want to comment on a song that's in Finnish, I can translate it on my translation blog and then talk about it more on this blog.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a YouTube channel or something, where you can play clips of the music or film your reaction?

Yes, but I have this weird aversion to cameras, I feel very awkward talking to one and I get panic-like symptoms when I do. Secondly, I'm not usually very expressive. Thirdly, I need time to construct my opinion about something into sentences. It can take minutes, but it can also take months, depending on what kind of music it is and how familiar I am with the artist before I listen to it. Written format works better for my personality and how my brain functions.

What kind of music are you into?

So many different kinds. And that's also the reason I'm starting this blog. I have people in my life who like some of the music I like, but no one currently, who would be open to anything I want to throw at them. And I need an outlet for my thoughts. Writing long and ranty YouTube comments isn't doing it for me anymore.

I'm doing a separate post right after this to let you know where I am right now, musically. Few months from now I might be somewhere completely different, so it seems weird to include that in this introduction post.

Generally speaking, though: I'm a metalhead at heart. I love metal, rock, punk, pop, rap, hiphop, many electronic music genres... I like some classical music, some blues, some musical numbers, etc. The hardest genres I haven't yet gotten into are country, jazz and folk. I hate Christmas music and other music like it, music that's too jolly and happy just sounds so fake and obnoxious to me. There are exceptions to all of these, but anyway.

Is there music you're not going to include on your blog?

Yes. Any music that I don't personally like. There's no point in bashing an artist like that. All music that doesn't directly harm another person, has a place in this world. That place just isn't on my speakers or my blog, necessarily. Besides, I don't listen to music I don't like, so how can I even write about it?
I have a three-song rule: I have to hear and dislike/like at least three songs from an artist or a band before I can say that I dislike/like their music as a whole. Before that I am only allowing myself to say I like or dislike one song or two songs by them.

If the artist is still alive, I will also judge them based on character. I don't want to give any attention to certain kinds of people, because they will benefit from the exposure, even if my blog post would have been read only by one person. If I am aware that an artist has committed a rape or an sexual assault, they are banned from my blog forever. If I am aware of such allegations, but they have not been convicted or otherwise confirmed of committing said acts, I might write about them, but address the allegations. Blatant racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia or transphobia will most likely also result in a ban, if I am aware of them holding such beliefs or saying such things. If nothing provokes me to, I will not google possible allegations against the artist, though.

What kind of posts are you going to do on the blog?

1. Weekly Recaps. During the week I will write down some highlights of the music I've been recommended by Spotify and what I've listened to on my own. I'll be posting them weekly, mostly on Sundays (UTC+2), but if I'm busy on Sunday, then on Saturday or Monday.

The rest I will post purely based on what I feel about posting every particular day. I might post several posts a day or only Weekly Recaps for weeks or months on end. This is purely a hobby for me and I want to keep it fun and not plan it too much.

2. Three Song Listens. If I hear about an artist or band that I might like, I will give them three songs' entire length to convince me I like them.

3. Deep Dives. That's what I call it, when I listen through the entire discography of an artist or a band. I'll probably give my opinion on their discography as a whole, if I prefer certain era over another, if there are drastic or gradual changes, what are my favourite songs by them and why, etc.

4. Lyrical Breakdowns. This is another reason I'm starting this blog. I was doing lyrical breakdowns of Ashnikko's songs on SongMeanings.com, when their website suddenly decided to not allow me to post anymore. They tried to fix the problem, but couldn't, so... Here we are.

5. Initial Thoughts. Kinda like a YouTube reaction video, but in written form. If I've just heard a song for the first time and feel the need to share my first thoughts about it.

6. General Thoughts. My general thoughts about an artist or a band as a whole. Mostly a series I plan to do if I'm not sure I like some artist/band, but they interest me enough that I'd like to document my thoughts about them, or if someone asks me to cover an artist I am familiar with. If someone asks me to cover an artist I am not familiar with, I'll do a Three Song Listen post about them.

7. Artist Highlights. Similar to previous one, but to highlight an artist or band who I think deserve an entire post written about them. To rant and vent and fan girl over someone I have already listened to a lot in the past so much, that I can't really call it a Deep Dive post anymore... I have technically dived deep into their music, but it has been months or years since I've done that, so it isn't really fresh in my memory how the music made me feel and what I thought when I first heard the songs. 

8. Random other posts. I.e. I'll probably do one next week about my favourite Eurovision Song Contest finale moments.

Comments

Popular Posts