Eurovision Song Contest 2023 (my favourites)

Here're the songs I liked the most in this year's Eurovision finale. I didn't watch the semifinals, I never do, so I have no idea if there were great songs there that didn't make it to the final.
I loved how you could feel UK's support for Ukraine there. Throwing the contest in Liverpool, representing a lot of Ukrainian artists in the beginning of the evening, the inserts showing similar locations in three different countries in the artist introduction clips (i.e. a ferris wheel in Ukraine, in UK and in Finland when they introduced Käärijä).

Top tier this year (in no particular order):
- Serbia. Great industrial song, very much something I'd usually listen to. I need to look this song up on Spotify and like it there.
- Estonia. The singer has a very unique voice, I've never heard anyone like her. I like it a lot.
- Finland. It's rap, my latest musical love affair, mixed with Rammstein = metal = my heart and soul, and it's about a typical stiff, introverted Finnish person having a few drinks and turning into a party animal. It's perfect. Liked on Spotify and added to Three Song Listen list and Translations to do list.
- Australia. The first metal breakdown in Eurovision history. And they did so well, too?? Amazing. Cannot wait for upcoming years, when metal completely takes over the competition.
- Moldova. A bit weird, but very touching that he dedicated the song to his wife. Straights being ok.
- Norway. Yeeeey, vikings! Liked on Spotify. I needed this in my life.
- Germany. I cannot believe they were in the last place. They would have deserved top 15 at least, IMO top 10. Very nice industrial metal song, with actual metal screaming involved. And they covered Cha Cha Cha (Finland's song) before the finale, which just shows what a good sport they are and how they're really in this for the love of music. Awesome dudes. I followed them on YouTube to show my support.

These songs were also good enough to deserve a mention here, but not quite top tier:
- Switzerland
- Poland. Catchiest song of the evening.
- Cyprus. A lovely ballad.
- Czech Republic
- Israel. Best stage performance of the evening.

When we were waiting for people to vote and then waiting for them to count the votes, we were blessed with cover songs, ex-Eurovision winners performing hit songs originally by artists who are from Liverpool. Two acts stood out for me above others:
- Netta - You spin me round (like a record). Everything I need in a good cover song can be found here: Loyal and respectful of the original song. An updated, new version of the original. Sounds like the music the covering artist usually makes or could make. A spectacular live performance. Netta is of course known from winning with her song Toy, which is a catchy pop anthem about consent and self-worth.
- Cornelia Jakobs - I turn to you. Gosh. She is one the hottest women I have ever seen. I was glued to my screen watching her perform. Very sexy performance, in a very queer sapphic kinda way (her look reminded me of the women in L Word). And I love the original song, and she sang it well. Apparently she competed last year but didn't win. I feel bad for not remembering her... I looked it up and she performed a ballad, representing Sweden, the song was called Hold Me Closer. Hearing that, her cover song this year makes a lot of sense. Hold Me Closer is fine, but nothing spectacular or earth-shattering. I Turn to You really highlighted her voice.

Comments

Popular Posts