Ihsahn - Ihsahn (Album, Initial Thoughts)

I don't remember much about them. My guess is metal.
But I had written down the album title, so...

First song was an intrumental intro, symphonic metal vibes.

Second song, THE PROMETHEAN SPARK, sounds like power metal, but with occasional scream vocals. Power metal's not really my thing. I'm a prog fan.
Although, this does sound progressive as well, song structure wise. Not the typical A-C-A-C-B-C.
6/10.

PILGRIMAGE TO OBLIVION. We're not in the power metal realm anymore, good. Power metal's fine, just not my thing. 7/10.

TWICE BORN. Read the bio, he's a black metal artist. Again, the song'a fine, but not my thing. 

Went to his profile and before this album I've heard South Winds and his cover of Dom Andra (by Kent). I don't remember South Winds, I have a vague memory of Dom Andra. 
I'm gonna finish listening to the album, but won't write about all the songs from now on, there's no point. 

ANIMA EXTRANAE is nice, an instrumental.

AT THE HEART OF ALL THINGS BROKEN is my kinda song! Starting off calm and proge, and then growing heavier as it goes on.

Last song, SONATA PROFANA, is an instrumental as well.

Listened to South Winds again, 'cause I was curious what prompted me to want to listen to more of his music. And yeah, this is more up my alley than the newest album. 
Ihsahn (the album) ain't bad, it just isn't for me...

Comments

Popular Posts